Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project has been waiting...and waiting and waiting and waiting...for this for a long time. I really hate coming on a forum to complain about a company but I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm at a loss.

After months and months of research, I ordered some 4.5-leaf mid-eye leaf springs from Dallas Mustang on December 16th, 2010. They charged my bank account, even though I was told they wouldn't have them until after New Years - no big deal, I figured as much with Christmas and the New Year. After a while, I called back, and the date was suddenly pushed back to early February. Aggravating, but still, I'd have the last piece to my suspension. Another few weeks, I call back, now early March. Then I called after several more weeks and it was pushed to April 15th, FOUR months after I ordered. I fired off a polite but aggravated email to Dallas Mustang, where I spoke with a guy who informed me they now had no idea when they were going to get them in, from Scott Drake. Supposedly Scott Drake has no idea, still, to this point.

I ordered from Dallas Mustang for a very specific reason. I got a great deal on them (10% off) and I didn't have to pay shipping, since I live 30 minutes away or so. The shipping from other vendors was very high - $60-$80 in some cases.

If I am forced to go with a different vendor, not only do I lose 4 months, I lose about $100 out of this deal as well. The employee at Dallas Mustang has let me know he will sell me a 5-leaf set for the same price, but that is not what I ordered, nor do I want my car to ride like a jeep (it's a 6-cyl Mustang for street use, no way).

I have no idea what to do. Whether it is Scott Drake's fault or Dallas Mustang's fault, both are acting in an incredibly crappy manner. I have called many other vendors and they said they have no problem getting these parts and have them in stock. It's not like it is some one-off custom part for goodness' sakes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It's none of my business, but this disagreement is between you and Dallas Mustang. Scott Drake has nothing to do with it, except for supplying a retailer which has poor customer relations skills. The right move on Dallas's part would have been to a) hold off on charging your account until the merch was shipped, or b) contacted you to inform you of the situation and offer you a similar product from a different supplier.
If it were me I'd demand an immediate credit and order from someone else. You'll lose out on the $100 in the deal, but at this point, what happens if there's an issue with the springs if you finally get them?!? Good luck hammering that out with Dallas!!

Just for the record, I've never so much as dealt with either Dallas or Drake. I have no favorite or interest, just an opinion from someone that owns their own business. :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You may be SOL because of the amount of time that has gone by. Most credit card companies have a limit 60 or 90 days to file a claim. Since your card was charged longer ago than that you may have to have a real hissy fit with them to get any action.

I would still inform Dallas Mustang that they have 48 hours to give a full credit on your card or you will be going after the card company for a refund. Then get your springs from somewhere else.

If other vendors are able to get the leafs without problem, but Dallas says they can't, it's -possible- Drake is withholding product because of past due invoices. Time to bail on that deal...

·
Registered
681 Posts
do much business

Have you done much business with them? I have actually been looking at them for in the future when I start my project.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I had a similar issue with a MAC mid-pipe I ordered. The place I ordered it from didn't have it in stock and it was backordered with MAC. I ended up cancelling the order after 6 weeks of waiting and buying from another place that had it in stock for more money. It boils down to a question of do you want it, or do you want it right now.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
1. Call Scott D and inquire if this is reality (at least you will know what the truth is)
2. Then demand a refund within 7 days, if not notify the CC company and file a complaint with the local US atttorney Generals office for interstate commerce fraud (felony for over $1000)
believ me, you will get every penny back asap

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
After two delays that would have been it. I would have canceled then. I would call them and ask for refund. After being treated like that I would pay more and smile while doing it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have you all beat time wise. I ordered some stuff LAST JUNE from Mustangs Unlimited. Got it all except a backordered 351 decal for my air cleaner. Dates for shipment come, and the date gets pushed back another month. At the 10 month point, I have had enough. Finally had them issue me a refund. Only $4 so I will survive, but seriously, 10 months and waiting?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
It's a violation of credit card regulations to charge a credit card for an item before it is shipped/delivered to the customer. Exception is a deposit. I'd cancel it. Check other sites, NPD, or, CJ or MU or VA Mustangs to name a few.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have had much worse luck with other vendors, I think it is luck of the draw. Recently I have been ordering from John's Mustang in Houston and have had great success after several failed orders from CJ Pony. They have had everything in stock, even the stuff that other vendors had to special order and they always ship the same day. Prior to this year though I have ordered thousands of dollars from CJ with no issues. I think it depends on who you deal with and what it is you order. I have actually been ordering from Dallas Mustang since 1996 and never had a problem with them, I would just get someone on the phone there and explain that you need to get your car on the road and request a refund and order from someone else in this case.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
DM's been around 25 years, theyre not out to screw anyone. im sure they will give you a full refund under the circumsatnces. forget emails.....call them, of if theyre that close to you just go there...be very firm, explain your situation but also be polite. a little suger goes along way

once thats done call Eaton springs and order them direct or call NPD and be done with it

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
IMO, this wasn't the place to take this. If Dallas Mustang refuses(d) to give a refund, that's a different story. As long as you haven't made any attempt to undo the deal, they've done nothing wrong. DM doesn't build parts, they order and wait. I'm sure DM would have loved to have those springs in stock, or get them quickly to finish the deal. I can't see what other motivation they would have.

If you feel the cost savings is worth the wait, hang on. If not, cancel the order and order directly from Eaton (they build them).

John

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've ordered for several years from MU and NPD. They charge to the customer's credit card like most other on line orders. They don't enter the item on your card until it's shipped. If I odered 24 items and one was backordered they ship the 23 and charge the 23. When #24 comes in it's shipped and billed to my card.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
It's a violation of credit card regulations to charge a credit card for an item before it is shipped/delivered to the customer. Exception is a deposit. I'd cancel it. Check other sites, NPD, or, CJ or MU or VA Mustangs to name a few.
That's not true, actually, most Merchant Agreements provide 30 days to ship, due to the varied nature of retail businesses that are out there (like a business that would build you a fancy bird house custom-to-order for instance).

It can get weird with the computer programming when you've got a backorder, and whether you pre-pay it or un-pay it (charge when backorder ships), because when your program is written/triggered to discount or give free shipping at a certain $$ threshold (like our $300), not charging for a backorder could potentially put the order under the threshold.

Bottom-line, we rarely have to backorder anyhow (that's the best solution ;) ), and if/when we do, we don't hang onto backorders for more than 30 days without refunding the customer back. You can't just "sit" on a customer's money.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
That's not true, actually, most Merchant Agreements provide 30 days to ship, due to the varied nature of retail businesses that are out there (like a business that would build you a fancy bird house custom-to-order for instance).

It can get weird with the computer programming when you've got a backorder, and whether you pre-pay it or un-pay it (charge when backorder ships), because when your program is written/triggered to discount or give free shipping at a certain $$ threshold (like our $300), not charging for a backorder could potentially put the order under the threshold.

Bottom-line, we rarely have to backorder anyhow (that's the best solution ;) ), and if/when we do, we don't hang onto backorders for more than 30 days without refunding the customer back. You can't just "sit" on a customer's money.
Before I entered the army many years ago (1972) I use to work for a retailer. I processed a credit card purchase for an item that was on back order. Well this purchase was done by a shopper who worked for corporate security. The security manager came back a week or so later. The store manager called me into the office with the security manager who commenced to attempt to put me through the third degree, telling me I violated the law for processing the credit card without delivering the goods and that I could be prosecuted. I ended up telling him to "F" off that I wouldn't tolerate being treated like he was treating me. Well I did get fired.

I also notice that CJs and MU don't process credit card purchases until they ship. Perhaps it's their policy. I also now know that it doesn't make good business sense to process CC purchases, except for non refundable purchases, like special orders, because of the potential to misrepresent the bottom line on a company balance sheet/income statement by showing income and no cost of goods sold to offset the income. That's just the MBA in me coming out.

The transaction software that may apply discounts, or free shipping based on order thresholds could be written to trigger off the total order not taking back orders and/or partial shipments into consideration.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
Mail order companies fall under different rules/classifications.

There's no perfect answer, because elsewhere in the Merchant Agreements they have language that prevents you from charging the card after the point of original-order-placement" without the gaining an additional customer authorization at that time, which most mail-order companies ignore as well.

Just like everything else in this world that has been amended and addended into virtual novels of legaleze-fine-print by generations of attorneys, if everyone stuck within the limits of those agreements, commerce as we know it would come to a screeching halt. And tax code, and loan docs, and and and...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts