Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know that many East coasters will get a laugh out of this "California rust" problem...

My California car had two areas of rust, the first being the driver's floor pan which was caused by being parked with a broken window for many years by a PO. Replacing that was fairly straight forward...

But what would you do about this? Below is a picture of the bottom edge of a 69 deck lid (trunk). This has been media blasted and coated with DP90...

I am concerned that any welding to this area will do more damage than good by warping the top side.

Suggest away!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1203815958-Decklid_rust.jpg
Larger image

Thanks in advance,
-Rory

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I would use a bead of seam sealer like many decklids and hoods have (and all SHOULD have had) to keep moisture out of that seam anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
That area is a good candidate for Metal2Metal or similar filler material with aluminum in it. I wouldn't try and weld those pinholes or rust-pits. Sometimes you gotta do what is expedient and not ruin the panel itself.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Midlife said:
That area is a good candidate for Metal2Metal or similar filler material with aluminum in it. I wouldn't try and weld those pinholes or rust-pits. Sometimes you gotta do what is expedient and not ruin the panel itself.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After seeing some of the restorations on this site, I was almost embarrassed to post this question ;)

-Rory

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
[quote='70 StangMan]
Midlife said:
+1 :thumbsup: [/quote]

Yelp, no welding needed.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
use all metal. i would also make sure you seal the deck lid from the inside. i like to take the left over DP and pour it inside the door seams and so on to help seal them up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts