Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for everyone who posted to my question a few nights ago about towing with my old explorer. I already figured that my truck wasn't the best candidate...but I wanted some other opinions and you guys just confirmed my suspicions. In case you don't know...the story is that I want to have my mustang available for my drive away car for my wedding, which is 300 miles away from home.

Here is my dilema:

To drive or tow:
Option #1: To rent a truck and trailer to tow...$300 one way, so $600 total.

Option #2: There is an outside chance of borrowing a friends truck and full bed car trailer...but that is about a 10% chance...so I'm not banking on it.

Option #3: My other choice...take the $600 and put it to the items that I don't trust for the trip and just drive that car 300 miles one way. The things I don't trust are the radiator and the tires. The car tends to run hot (but not overheat) at speeds over 60 MPH and the side walls of my tires are cracking (they look dry rotted). So I was thinking of getting a new 3 or 4 core radiator and new tires (that runs around $600 total) and then just drive the car down.

To have it shipped by train or truck is about $300 one way...so that is kind of a moot point.

I like option #2 the best...but I'm not counting on it. So of #1 and #3...which would you do? I won't tell you what I'm leaning towards because I want your honest opinion. Thanks for your help.

Slade

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Buy new tires and drive it. Take a cell phone with you if you break down. If you make it ok then you have new parts on your car that would have gone to towing costs...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I, too, would drive the car. Fix what you see is obviously wrong, and if the car makes it the 300 miles you will have a better idea of what is "good" on the car.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
Fix it and drive it, eventually you'll have to spend the money on the car anyway. Don't take a chance with those tires!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
offer the guy with the truck $200 a free room to overnight at the wedding and an introduction to a brides maid.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,518 Posts
Personally I usually a tow-dolly over long distance. I don't have a truck quite capable of trailering, besides dollies are cheap to rent. There's a bit more leeway in the weight problems with a dolly. It could be done with the Explorer but I still wouldn't risk it. A good half-ton pickup would be the minimum. With a 3/4 ton or bigger pickup, you can take your pick of which way to go.
If you feel brave, drive it. Bring along everything you think you'll need in a support vehicle. DON'T try it on a Sunday. All the tire and parts stores out in Hicksville (where you will break down) are closed on Sundays. Ask me how I know. Go on a weekday and start early so any problems that may occur will happen during business hours. There's always somebody around unless you're in the Mojave desert or something. I've bought emergency parts from John Deere tractor dealers and hometown hardware stores.
Not to sound too pessimistic, but you never know. I've driven home more than one that shouldn't have been on the road with few or no problems.
Be careful no matter what you end up doing. And good luck!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pack your tools and go for it!! If you have a cell phone, check to see if they offer roadside service. I've got Cingular Wireless and for $2.95/month, I can get service nation wide. Fortunately, I haven't had to test the tow service!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Do what I did for my last out-of-state car show...
Buy tires (and in your case, fix cooling issue) and DRIVE IT!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just gp t back in from vacation. I have used a 1991 explorer to tow mustangs for several years. If the trailer has brakes, it's no problem. If no brakes, plan accordingly.. It is a heavy load and you will not pass many gas stations.....

As far as what I would recommend, Spend the $600 and buy tires. Do you have a shroud on the radiator. This really makes a difference. If you are having overheating at speed, check you timing, etc before you buy a radiator...

craig

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would fix it. What a joy to drive your Mustang to your wedding. But...I would also get another quote on renting a truck and trailer. It would suck driving up there and your car overheating. I rented a U-Haul truck and trailer, when my Dad bought his Mustang, for $285, which was round trip from Dayton, OH to Chicago, IL which is a little more than 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
I have a similar delima on a 68 vert, but it's 600 miles away. Perhaps you could get a frined to drive you to the car, rent a truck and trailer there and drive it one way back. Perhaps only $300 plus the gas for your friends car. I think when I go, I'll fly there and rent a truck and trailer.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
At 60 MPH your cooling system should be at it's best. You have a restriction someplace. I'd check the lower hose to make sure it has a spring in it. If that's not the problem then the new radiator will most likely fix things right up.

That said, I'd put the money into the car and drive it. To be afraid to drive your pony is just not right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a lot of trust in my pony, I just don't want to hurt it, I'm still in that learning what the PO's did/didn't do to the car stage. It got me home on 3 of 6 cylinders...and I truly fell in love at that point. I'm going to take it to a radiator shop and have them flush the system and refill it.

I agree, to be afraid to drive a pony car is a crime. I love driving it.

Slade

1 - 15 of 15 Posts