Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
debating wether to put some work into the originals or just go repo.

the drivers side is a little worse then the passenger side.

the drivers side has a decent sized dent by the fender lip and the mustang emblem with rust through down were the rocker molding goes

the passenger side just has rust through underneath the rocker molding

should i try to use those lower fender patches they sell or should i just go with repo fenders?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2193000-2193999/2193400_22_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2193000-2193999/2193400_23_full.jpg

thanks
danny

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I don't know if you can, but see if anyone has some originals they want to get rid of. I found some from a woman who wanted to get "better" fenders for her 65 vert, sold me her original ones pretty reasonably and they were almost perfect.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I here this debate all the time and I got sucked into the original fender purchase but went to the mustang corral and saw SEVERAL cars they were installing repo fenders on and they looked great. Not sure what kind they were, but you can call them. Mustang Corral in Edwardsville. You can get their number on their web site. I saw these cars up close and talked to the guy installing them and he said they have great luck. I would not rework those fenders in my opinion. With repos you will at least not have to worry about the surface rust from the inside. You can just spray them with undercoating or Ryno Bed liner.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would stay away from the repos they fit poorly around the cowl area. I also would not try to fix the fender shown. Have you thought about using OEM tooling fenders???

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I had a nightmare with the repo fenders on my 70. Nothing fit right and I mean nothing. The only thing that kept me from returning them was the fact that I had them too long. Now I get to watch the fenders flutter at idle.
In your case a nice set of originals would be in line. I have a nice 69 fender and have people hem and haw at $200. I'm not trying to sell anything and have no interest in shipping at this time. The point is they are out there if you look.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I might be interested in them. I have some that are great everywhere except where I tried to fix them on the upper part of the wheel lip. If i can get a big enough, it might be cheaper for me to PAY to have them fixed than to buy OEM tooling. Let me know if you want to get rid of them. If you want to sell them, i MAY be interested, but I might need to see how much pro work would cost first before I make a final decision.

OEM tooling fenders are great, but im on a college kid budget :chainsaw: :no:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts