Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got my 66 convertible back from the paint shop. It came out great except for a small problem.

Where they stuck masking tape to the rear plastic window, the sticky stuff on the tape damaged the window. There is probably a 2 inch stripe of damage all the way across the bottom edge and in the center a 2 inch stripe about 6 inches long.

The glue looks like it melted the surface of the plastic.

This wasn't a cheap paint job ($4500). The back window wasn't new, but it was in super shape... still very clear.

Should I just leave well enough alone, talk to the body shop, or talk to my insurance company?

I plan to tell the shop owner, but I really don't expect him to replace it.

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it were me, I would tell them and expect them to replace it. Ask them to pay perhaps 75% of the replacement cost recognizing it isn't new.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm on the same page as you.....but I was thinking 50 % to be fair to both parties. If the upper 'zipper part' is in good shape, the job won't be too bad. However, if the complete window assembly is to be replaced, the rear portion of the top is going to have to be pulled from the rear bow. Ouch!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The shop is responsible for the damage. Show the damage to the owner and tell him in a calm and professional manner that you expect him to make it right. It is very well known that masking tape adhesive is toxic to certain plastics if left on for more than a short time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are we sure there is really damage here, or just a glue stain? I have many types and brands of tape here in the body shop and have never had any of it damage a plastic window before.
Take it back to the body shop. He has products there that can remove the glue from that window.
If it is indeed melted, the insurance co, should cover the cost of replacing the damaged window. The insurance co. will inspect and determine if the body shop is at fault and back charge them. Either way, you should not have to pay anything since "the car did not come into the shop like that". Stick to your guns and the insurance co. will have to do whatever it takes to make you happy.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If the window is damaged, you, the owner, should not have to be pay ANY of the cost to get it replaced.

you paid for a paint job, and quite a bit of money, too. You didn't pay to have your rear windshield messed up, did you?

If you're calm, professional, and polite when you go in there, you'll get taken care of. From a customer service standpoint, I really take care of people who are professional with me. Nothing ticks me off more than someone who is upset but who gets mad at ME for "ruining their day" with the wrong auto part. For that individual, I pull out company policy and make their lives miserable right back.

Just be courteous...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Without a doubt, the window is damaged, it is not glue residue. There is indentations melted into the plastic and the damaged area is warped.

Thanks for your input,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input. They did take off the hockey sticks. I have pictures of the work in progress.

John Thomas

·
Registered
670 Posts
I restore these cars for a living.He owes you a back window.In small claims court you win for tripple damages!!!!!!!!!!!!!SCOTT 936-756-2535

1 - 11 of 11 Posts