Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless if it needed it or not?

For example, Gas Tank? Fuel lines? brake lines? cables? lugnuts? lenses? rubber trim? etc. I'm just wondering if it's common to replace stuff like this during a restoration, even if the wear is very little or the item is in decent shape. I guess I'm looking as a safety issue also on 37 year old parts.

How far have/will you go to restore your car, and what have you replaced even though it may not of needed it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Probably all of what you mentioned but probably for for cosmetic reasons. Thats for a restoration, a daily driver would be a different story.

Personaly I'm real big on haveing a brake system I can trust so I generaly replace/improve every part of the brake system if the car is more than 10-15 years old.

I go by the saying "It's only as good as it's weakest link"

G

·
0 Posts
I break it down into 2 catagories, the "my a$$ depends on it", everything in the brakes, steering, and wheelbearing,
wiring, fuel, restraints items. and everything else is "how deep are my pockets" optinal parts.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree with what was already said....safety items first. Second is anything that promotes longevity like seals & weather stripping. Third, and I suppose this is a combination of safety, longevity and reliability, is wiring. Specifically the stuff in the engine bay. If it is clean, but hard and brittle, it gets tossed for the new, soft and pliable stuff.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm with tjbatzli. All the stuff that you NEED NOT to fail you on the road.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I can't argue with the other posters, even though I do it differently. I take care of the "optional" cosmetics up to SWMBO's tolerance level and save the "safety" parts for the part of the project when she'd say no to anything except those. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
when my father redid his 67 A code coupe he redid everything....and I mean everything. It was a 37,000 mile car that sat for 20 years in a garage. Motor was still rebuilt,suspension,fuel,brakes,. Evrything but the toploader and rear.
As for the body everything but the roof was changed. Interior got new carpet-seat covers, door panels,and bezels.!! Literally is a new car now.
Russ

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I totally take the car apart..any thing to do with safety is replaced, such as brakes, calipers, rotors, idler arms, ball joints, tie rods..etc. ..any parts that can't be cleaned and made new again replaced..engine yanked and rebuilt..tranny checked and rebuilt if needed..rear end checked and rebuilt if needed, all chrome is replated and all stainless polished,, and I haven't even gotten into the rust yet..when I restore a car..it is complete..I am just anal about such things< I like to begin with a brand new old car..makes life so much easier

·
Registered
455 Posts
The key word here is "RESTORATION". Not repair. If it is to be a true restoration, then start with a rotisserie and go for it!
jazzbo

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My wife said, "I thought you were going to use most of the old parts and refirbish them. You didn't save anything did you!" I didn't answer for my spreadsheet had at least 400 entries (about $20K worth). What you re-use is entirely dependent on your abilities, expectations and wallet. Do what you can and what pleases you!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Anything that will be difficult to replace after the car is all done. Items that come to mind are motor/tranny mounts, engine/transmission seals, oil pump. And I'm planning on redoing the front end on mine while the motors out for accessability reasons.
Almost forgot a biggie... wiring... all my 37 year old wiring is going in the hopper.

John

·
Registered
491 Posts
Are U wanting to do a running resto, or a full restore then drive? Start with the brakes. At least then, you will be able to stop the beast!

·
Registered
501 Posts
#1 Replace all suspension items and brakes.
#2 Replace all rubber stuff.
#3 Replace any thing that does not look new after clean up.
#4 Rebuild all running gear (engine, tranny, rear end, etc).
#5 Upgrade wiring and electricals. (Halogens, relay's, fuse box, etc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts