Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this ad for a 1973 mustang convertible. Everything looks correct until I got to looking at the front end. I always thought the 71-72 mustangs had chrome bumpers and chrome trim across the hood. This looks to be a 73 with the urathane bumper, but I also know the 73's had chrome square trim around the headlights, but this one doesn't? What's going on here?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
The ad says it’s for a ‘72, along with the license plate. On my phone, that looks like a chrome bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, my message didn't post with the pic. The green one with 1972 is my mustang. Need to look at the one in Facebook market at top of post. It's listed also as a 1972, but I've never seen a urathane bumper on a 1972. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
That's a '72 with the Exterior Decor group. Basically, it was the majority of the exterior trim parts unique to the base Mach 1, made optional for base coupes and convertibles. Painted urethane bumper, painted hood and fender moldings, black Mach 1 grille with sportlamps, and the lower body contrast paint with bright trim. Trim rings and hubcaps were also part of the package, but that car has the optional Sport Wheel Covers.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Looks like a good buy at the price. Only thing odd is the Cougar XR-7 door panels, but they're a direct swap for the Mustang parts. Originals were probably falling apart from age & sun damage.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
That's a '72 with the Exterior Decor group. Basically, it was the majority of the exterior trim parts unique to the base Mach 1, made optional for base coupes and convertibles. Painted urethane bumper, painted hood and fender moldings, black Mach 1 grille with sportlamps, and the lower body contrast paint with bright trim. Trim rings and hubcaps were also part of the package, but that car has the optional Sport Wheel Covers.
The 71-72 mach1 and Sport bumper was essentially a stock steel (unplated) bumper with a urethane cover moulded onto it. The 73 front bumper was a 95 pound beast, twice as thick, vertically, so heavy it required stiffer springs to hold up the car.

71-2

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
The 71-72 mach1 and Sport bumper was essentially a stock steel (unplated) bumper with a urethane cover moulded onto it.
Never gutted a 71-72 urethane bumper, so I have no idea what's inside besides some sort of metal form. The use of a bare steel bumper as an insert makes a lot of sense.

The 73 front bumper was a 95 pound beast, twice as thick, vertically, so heavy it required stiffer springs to hold up the car.
Yes, but arguably the most aesthetic execution of a 5mph bumper in the entire automotive industry.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Looks like a good buy at the price. Only thing odd is the Cougar XR-7 door panels, but they're a direct swap for the Mustang parts. Originals were probably falling apart from age & sun damage.
Back when the door panels were swapped out, there probably wasnt a lot of choices, especially for green.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Yes, but arguably the most aesthetic execution of a 5mph bumper in the entire automotive industry.
Amen to that! I have a '74 TR6 with the knee breaker pads that will be coming off when I restore the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts