Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what's it called,but I've seen it on several Mustang's down by the front valance .Looks like it's used for towing the car has a red tongue. Anyone knows what its called and where I can get one

·
Dimples
4,410 Posts
That would be a tow loop for racing. There are a million options, none of which that I’m aware of are specifically made for our cars.

If memory serves, Shaun at Street or Track has a cool one that’s made out of a repurposed U-bolt that holds the rear end to the leaf springs. I thought that was a cool solution.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I prefer to drive a car on and off a trailer haha but I can see where a hook would come in handy I guess. It's the rust-mobiles like this that I need one on...
15007.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
it mostly for on track if the car breaks or gets stuck off track so the tow people cause less damage when removing it from the track.
Gotcha. I've seen track tow trucks with spoons, slings, and rollbacks and didn't think too much about that. I've often wondered why the hooks weren't on both ends of race cars (maybe some are), and why they don't ever seem to be on the back of 4x4 trucks, where someone would normally want to attach a rig to pull another. Oh, well. The stuff I see pictured above looks very purposeful, strong, and clean.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Gotcha. I've seen track tow trucks with spoons, slings, and rollbacks and didn't think too much about that. I've often wondered why the hooks weren't on both ends of race cars (maybe some are), and why they don't ever seem to be on the back of 4x4 trucks, where someone would normally want to attach a rig to pull another. Oh, well. The stuff I see pictured above looks very purposeful, strong, and clean.
prob depends on the track, i've got tow points on both ends of my '68 and have a kit i will install this summer for the rear of my 19 gt350 (already has a front hook) just in case. probably overkill and hopefully never will be used, but cheap ish in the big scheme of things.

I think my old hummer had tow rings on the rear and front bumpers OEM, but I never offroaded so not sure what is common in that world.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I think my old hummer had tow rings on the rear and front bumpers OEM, but I never offroaded so not sure what is common in that world.
If that was a real Hummer and not one of the plasticy ones, then yeah, that's a purpose-built vehicle even in civilian form.
Most 4x4 trucks have front tow hooks or rings now, but just a rear receiver hitch and you could use a single point hook in the hitch I suppose.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Racing tow hooks.

Ford Racing has a couple of variations if you want to buy verses make one yourself:
The rear one has a square mounting bracket and would fit nice on the front left or right frame rail extension. But I wanted the hook tucked up higher in front (the rear version has a tow hook pivot point that hangs lower).

It's also nice that the red loop unbolts from the bracket so you don't always have to run around with the boy racer look unless that's what you are after...

For my '65 GT350-R "tribute", I'm welding the front one to the front passenger side frame rail. It also looks to be the same part that Original Venice Crew is using on it's $250K continuation GT350 Competition Models.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I made my own out of aluminum plate and bolted it to the frame rail... nothing really out there to just buy.
What are the dimensions of the aluminum plate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts