Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to ready to buff the paint under my fastback and was thinking about buying a buffer for it. Otherwise, I'll be using my drill and buffing pads. The hard part is that I'll be buffing up and the drill gets heavy very quickly and hard to handle. I'm thinking that although a buffer also is heavy, it might be easier to handle. I do have an orbital buffer, but that sure isn't going to work under the car. Heck, it hardly works on top of the car. :lol:

I saw a Makita listed at Sears, but I don't really know about the quality of the various makes and models. I'd like to buy it for use this weekend. I'm thinking about $200 or less, preferably less, since it won't get a lot of heavy usage.

Help?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Charles should have bought a franchise several years ago. It would have paid for itself a couple times over, I think.

He wouldn't have to buy a truck. He could just sell to himself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Best buffers are the Makita and Metabo. Metabo is more expensive though. A Makita can be had for less than $200, check ebay. They are both variable speed. I know the Makita is 0-3000rpm with a slow start to prevent polish fling. I have used it on my daily driver and on a '66 restoration and it works great. The Metabo is said to be of higher quality and better balance but it is quite a bit more expensive and has an odd trigger. All of my power tools are Makita though and I love them. I have a 7" Makita grinder and a 4.5" grinder and they are great. The buffer is also a great machine. I vote Makita. HF also offers a cheap version that you may be able to get by with. Whatever you buy, make sure it is variable speed. Pad and polish selection is also very important and can get pricey. I like to start with Presta Croma 1500 with a compounding pad and work down from there. Works well for me. I hear Menzerna polishes are great for finishing, one of the best.
Grant

EDIT: I always use foam pads but there are some twisted wool pads that would also work. The pads that come with the Makita are said to be junk though(assuming you buy the kit).

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
There are a number of buffing kits out there using Porter Cable buffers. A good cutting compound and firm pad should do a prety good job. Some company's even sell 3" pads for those "hard to reach" spots

·
Registered
259 Posts
PC's are good but better for a final polish. She just finished cutting the underside of her car so I assume she has at least a 2000 scratch in it. A buffer would cut that scratch out better but would also be more clumsy/awkward than the PC. The UDM(Ultimate Detailing Machine) is said to have more power than the PC also. Possibly an intermediate step between buffer and PC.
Grant
BTW, the Makita model is the 9227C and the PC is a 7424. Sadly I know these off the top of my head...

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, my last sanding was with 2000. I'm not looking forward to the buffing, considering how I'll have to do it, but what the heck, I can't stop now. :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would think that for working under the car you would want the smallest/lightest buffer you can find so this HF buffer is probably not ideal.

I will say that I have used this buffer on about 5 cars around the house and its still working like the day I bought it. I think that its a little to heavy to use comfortably under the car but I don't know how it compares in weight to some of the more expensive options. So as an occasional use weekend warrior tool it does the job, and its CHEAP!

Regular price is $49 but they often have it on sale for under 30 bucks.

Here is the one I picked up in June.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/92600-92699/92623.gif
Link to CHEAP HF Buffer!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Any buffing on the underside is going to be difficult no matter what tool is used. The beads in the floor, seatbelt anchors, etc... will all cause you problems. Please post which methods worked and which didn't work when your finished. The tool similar to Charles' may be the best. Here is a link to a less expensive verison...
Chicago Pneumatic Polisher
That site also has links to the Metabo($300) and the Makita kit($200). Good luck with the project.
Grant

EDIT: Just saw your post Jay. That is the same one I mentioned earlier. They make some funny noises some times and don't have the power of the others but they do get the job done and thats what counts. As for weight, I believe the Makita weighs approx. 8lbs. Would have to check to make sure though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
As far as electric buffers go, I've owned the Porter Cable and the Milwaukee. I much prefer the later. But there are some very good pneumatic buffers available. For under the car, I would consider the smaller detail buffer shown above. It may be a lot easier for the nooks & crannies.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have a "WEN" variable speed PC and it worked magic for me for the past 10 years... :thumbup:

G

·
james_e said:
Charles should have bought a franchise several years ago. It would have paid for itself a couple times over, I think.

He wouldn't have to buy a truck. He could just sell to himself.
It would be interesting to know what kind of spread SO dealers make on tools. I get a pretty good discount from one of the local guys, but generally pay about 40-50% of dealer list price on ebay. Of course, I don't mind buying good used tools, so that saves quite a bit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
OT:SO tools have gone crazy on ebay. You must be watching very closely to get deals. I have seen probably 15 auctions that have ended OVER SO list price. Do these people not look up the price on their website or what?
Grant

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I just got a buffer for Christmas from Griot's Garage. It's branded with their name but I think it started life as a Porter Cable or Makita buffer. It is variable speed, looks well made and they claim that you would have a difficult time burning into the paint. It came with a DVD on how to use it to get the best results. I got the "daily driver" kit (wax, polish, pads, clay bar, etc.)so I can take care of our drivers as I won't need one for the Mustang for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
blu67 said:
I just got a buffer for Christmas from Griot's Garage. It's branded with their name but I think it started life as a Porter Cable or Makita buffer. It is variable speed, looks well made and they claim that you would have a difficult time burning into the paint. It came with a DVD on how to use it to get the best results. I got the "daily driver" kit (wax, polish, pads, clay bar, etc.)so I can take care of our drivers as I won't need one for the Mustang for a while.

Just got the same buffer myself yesterday, hoping it works out well

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've found two other brands like the Snap On version Charles posted about, which looks like what I need. One is a Chicago Pneumatic model sold by Harbor Freight, and the other is by Astro Pneumatic. The HF version is on sale right now for $40, and the Astro version is sold by the auto paint shop I go to for $91. I also noticed that Sears sells a Chicago Pneumatic model for $95.

Any advice about these models?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Griot's garage polisher must be a re-labeled PC if it has difficulty burning paint. As for the polishers, I really can't say since I don't own one. Keep in mind that the air polishers are not variable speed though. They could burn paint easily, I don't know.
Grant

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Laurie, If you are looking for something to buff, like after wet snading then stay away from orbital polishers. You also want to look for something small and light for the underside of the car. The areas that you will be polishing are going to be impossible to get to with a standard size buffer. There are quite a few good names out there, Makita, Porter Cable, Dewalt just to name a few. If you are buying an electric one look at the amp rating for the motor, The higher the rating the better the motor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts