Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Fastback C code, 4spd Toploader
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do I have here in my new-to-me 68? The engine is original to the car by VIN. I assume the heads are as well - 289 stamped. I'm thinking a rail type rocker with a locking nut on a pressed in stud. As far as I can tell, a bone stock 289 except for an intake and Holley 4bbl. Is this stock, and what do the letter/numbers on the push rod side rocker faces indicate? Also - there is play in the 'rail' end of the rocker, side to side. Is this normal? I can move the tip side to side but it's snug. I'd hate for a keeper to get popped off and then drop a valve.

Sink Auto part Plumbing fixture Rim Metal
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Footwear Shoe
Auto part Suspension Coil spring Suspension part Engine

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone has been into it before---- Extra nut on stud, looks like dual springs.
I'm blind as a bat. Son of a gun. I just came out of the garage 15 minutes ago, and yeah, upon second look. Dual springs. I knew I should have filled that new lense prescription. Any educated guess as to what that might mean for the rest of the engine? Higher lift cam? I've not removed the intake or anything beside the water pump and thermo housing.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
With dual springs you may want to look around the base of the rocker stud bosses to see if the studs are pinned in. You certainly do not want the springs pulling those out.

I would hope with those springs there is a higher lift cam.

BTW, looks like Hedman Elite headers which are nice. Long or short tube?

Side to side movement in the rail rockers is normal. The purpose of those rails is to limit the side to side from going too far.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With dual springs you may want to look around the base of the rocker stud bosses to see if the studs are pinned in. You certainly do not want the springs pulling those out.

I would hope with those springs there is a higher lift cam.

BTW, looks like Hedman Elite headers which are nice. Long or short tube?

Side to side movement in the rail rockers is normal. The purpose of those rails is to limit the side to side from going too far.
Those are long tubes and brand new when I got the car. As long as they work with my modified Z-bar for a Borgesen power steering, I'll be happy. I don't see any pins on those bosses. I have to ask if there's a good way to profile that cam without actually pulling it. I know there are some cam checkers to drop in the lifters or use against the valve tops, so if anyone has had experience with that, I'd like to hear about it. I'm certainly okay with pulling the intake and ultimately pulling the cam if need be, but it would be nice to get an idea of the parts here. I expect it will get the best of me and the curiosity will have me pull it all apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.