Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building this 5.0 .. but it's going to be carbed for awhile. My dad wants to keep running the old v-belt setup and he can't give me a good reason why. The serpentines are better in every way from what I read. He said something about when you change the alternator you have to change all the wiring and whatnot. But this complete 5.0 we got came with the pulleys and everything, what would be the conversion in getting serpentince on an old Mustang with the "old" style water pump outlet that uses the correct side radiator, since I already have a good 4row I don't want to replace with the opposite side inlet. Surely someone's done this before, any advice?

G

·
0 Posts
March has pulleys for damn near anything. Call them up and tell them what you want to do.

You can have the radiator outlet moved at any good radiator shop and it shouldn't really be the cause of a decision one way or the other.

If you go V-belt/old style water pump, them you have to change the entire front dress. Timing cover and all. Then you need a different balancer to get the v-belt pulley and the correct balance damper.

If you go serpentine, all you should need is a special alternator pulley for your old alternator.

I suspect there is an easy way to adapt the newer alternator to your wiring. You would have to bypass the regulator, but I'm sure someone here has already done it. You also get an alternator that has much more capacity.

Personally, I would go with the serpentine system.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The timing cover and water pump are different. The timing pointer is on the passenger side so you need a harmonic with four bolts and 28 oz-in imbalance. There are more than one water pump available (long neck, short neck) so you have to plan on which one you use. The alternator, power steering and air conditioning brackets and pieces are different. All pulleys are serpentine, of course. There's quite a few differences in bolt and fasteners. My serpentine also has a crank trigger set up on it, but this would not be required on a carbureted car.

FRPP makes a a/c eliminator bracket but I've not seen a similar conversion bracket for power steering. I suppose you could use a smaller belt if no p/s is needed. If you need the p/s pump you'll have to find someone to make up the lines/hoses. The alternator will have to be rewired but I think Windsor-Fox sells the alternator harness. I think you unplug the regulator and toss it. This is a complex change and is not for the meek. You'll also have to fab a fan spacer or use electric fan. It's nice when done right. I looked at doing it and came up with the same answer as your Dad, too hard, too expensive. There is no old style water pumps for the serpentine...serpentine is reverse rotation (belt runs around the water pump pulley in the reverse direcetion). All serpentines have drivers side inlets. You can get a conversion radiator for your early car if the inlet is on the passengers side and you wish it to be on the drivers side.

·
Administrator
19,306 Posts
The advantages of a flat belt are: it's quiet, lasts longer, and resists flying off at high RPM's.
The advantages of V-belts: cheaper, will tolerated more mis-alignment, easier to deal with if you change stuff a lot (remove/replace AC), and easier to get going again if one breaks. There are "emergency" fan belts for use if you need one. I carry one in the trunk. If your serpentine belt drops in the middle of nowhere, you're screwed.
I prefer Vbelts because I'm always meddling with stuff and can get any length belt I need at any parts store, cheap. And of course the above mentioned emergency belt thing.
It is some trouble to convert an engine either way, I've always found it a lot easier to come up with Vbelt brackets. SWMBO's 86 5.0 runs Vbelts (now). The only one I've ever seen. Go whichever way you prefer with yours.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I just took the 5.0 out of my 64 1/2. I found out too late that the Crown Vic water pump turns in the right direction and you can keep the original radiator just as it is. I bolted the 65 alternator in place of the late model, just switched pulleys. I left off the smog pump, and made an adapter for the P/S pump so the old hose just screwed onto the adapter. I never hooked up the A/C, but Classic Air can make hoses, if you want to use the rotary pump and your orig A/C. I also used a C5 timing cover and the 65 fuel pump. Just remember to put a concentric on the cam. I also used the C5 distributer, just put a bronze gear on it. It looked like an orig 289 (painted black) with the serpentine belt. I even painted the brackets and accy's black and really confused people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts