Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have the wrong starter for my 69 w/C4 trans. The partnumber (C7-#####-F) on the starter I have tells me that it went on a car with a manual trans, but I need one for a C4. Its never been installed on my car before so I'm not usre if it will work. How can I tell the difference between a starter from a manual transmission and an automatic transmission ? pics might help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
IIRC? You can use a automatic starter in a manual trans but you cant use a manual one in a automatic trans because the nose is longer.
Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know if im correct about this cause its been awhile and kinda curious as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The starter gear offset is the difference (amount the gear protrudes from the mounting flange).

Automatics are 3/4"
Manual (except T5) are 3/8"

The hole that the nose sticks into in the block plate is also sized differently.

Auto = 4.09"
Manual = 4.14"

I just finished making a 3/8" thick adapter/spacer to alow the use of an auto starter on a 4spd, but you can't do it the other way around to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
19,180 Posts
You can't fit a real automatic starter in a manual; it won't go in far enough. Most of the parts catalogs have the auto and manual starters reversed. How do I know? I went to a manufacturer of starters, and got both versions. The "automatic" fit my manual car, but the "manual" did not. I returned the one unit that did not fit. The part number that did work was 3153 from Precision CeriPro Warehouse in Chantilla, VA. Autozone lists the manual version as 3152.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
i removed a 1965 c4 and bell,installed a late model manual bell and new t5z manual 5 speed and reused my old c4 starter , without any problems.
so the later model bell is deeper , at that starter area , than old manual bell....
i ass-u-me ?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Midlife said:
You can't fit a real automatic starter in a manual; it won't go in far enough. Most of the parts catalogs have the auto and manual starters reversed. How do I know? I went to a manufacturer of starters, and got both versions. The "automatic" fit my manual car, but the "manual" did not. I returned the one unit that did not fit. The part number that did work was 3153 from Precision CeriPro Warehouse in Chantilla, VA. Autozone lists the manual version as 3152.
i think that was my case. So maybe it wasn't a "senior moment" :)

·
Premium Member
19,180 Posts
wayne50f1 said:
i removed a 1965 c4 and bell,installed a late model manual bell and new t5z manual 5 speed and reused my old c4 starter , without any problems.
so the later model bell is deeper , at that starter area , than old manual bell....
i ass-u-me ?
The T5Z manual and flywheel may have been the difference...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I used the same starter from my original 3 Speed for the C4 and eventually for the T5 and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Starters

And here I always thought I had it backwards. When I had my shop, we got starters from Bennett Auto. We had to order the opposite for every starter, so now I know it wasn't just us with this problem!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
IIRC there is or was a screw up in the auto-part store computers that caused people to get the wrong starter at times.
This is still true, but it applies to 65 Mustangs. Two different flywheels were used on 4 speed cars in 65. Some use the starter listed for Manuals, some use the starter listed for Automatics.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
Wow, what an old thread. Wasn't there a recent one about starters? IE, not from 11 years ago?

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Wow, what an old thread. Wasn't there a recent one about starters? IE, not from 11 years ago?

Holy thread revival Batman! An 11 year old thread revived today.

Here's the answer, plain and simple.
If you have a 157T flywheel or 157T flexplate you need the so called "automatic" starter with the long snout and exposed drive gear.
If you have a 164T flywheel or 164T flexplate you need the so called "manual" starter with the short snout and the recessed drive gear.

There used to be a diagram with the difference in the location of the ring gear between the 2 different tooth count flywheels/flexplates explained on a Bronco forum.

When is this website going to have "stickies" so we don't have to explain this every time the question comes up.

Here it is. I hope it shows up.
https://imgur.com/a/BurQ2

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I might have responded to the old thread I wanted to use as a reference to the newer thread. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Can an admin split this off and past it to the current thread? I know some forums support that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hah! I experienced a similar problem in 1976 when I went from the stock flywheel to a McCloud unit during an engine build. The old starter came from my auto trans car when I converted it to a 4 spd, but the problem did not arise until the flywheel upgrade. I did a Lakewood scatter shield at the same time, and was able to find a guy with a metal lathe to help me fab a spacer to keep the starter teeth from running engaged all the time. Wish I knew then it was as simple as the correct starter. 42 years later I learn why I had a problem.

The 289/302 cam in a 351 Windsor was another whole nightmare. (in 1975)

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
Can an admin split this off and past it to the current thread?
We can merge threads but it doesn't give very good results. No big deal. Unofficial policy is less stickies cluttering up the place makes for more posts. The more posts, the more active traffic. The more traffic, the happier the advertisers that actually pay for this site to exist. So there's that.

So I'd say just repost that onto the other thread too. It's all good.

I've seen where other forums actually have rules against reviving old threads. I think it's more fun to just razz the folks that do it. Many old threads still have value. Info newbies haven't seen and veterans have forgotten.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Totally agree Gypsy,

These cars are 50 years old, the starter issues the same. 11 year old data is just as valid today as then. Heck the "new" mini starters that people recommend are more than 11 years old.

Doing my part to help the advertiser out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts