Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that swapping out my C4 for a T10 would improve my acceleration as well as fuel economy. My cousin's trying to convince me that the C4 is both faster AND more efficient than a T10. He's also trying to tell me that I have to cut the tunnel hole to install a T10, which I've always thought otherwise.

Well?

-Matt

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
T10 is more efficient for gas mileage, due to the less power losses of the hydraulics of the C4. Acceleration depends upon the individual gearings...probably a toss-up there (three gears vs. four). The cost of conversion is well in excess of $500 even if you have a T-10 transmission (clutch pedal, linkage, clutch, etc.)...how much gain in mpg can you sustain to recoup $500+?

I wouldn't change a thing for acceleration and fuel economy, except a good tune-up.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mr Shindig; A few weeks back, you were having issues with a gas tank. At that time, you conveyed your concerns of monetary status. Now you speak of a very costly change over? What's up with that? But to answer your question, an automatic can be more effective in a drag race, if built correctly! Remember, The transmission is just one piece of the pie! If your car is an Auto, I would leave it as such. IMO.

Best Regards, J.R.

P.S; Did you get your fuel supply problem fixed?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Everything else being equal, most automatic transmissions will beat most manual transmissions. The only draw back to the automatic is weight, but there is no way you'll ever shift a manual as fast as an automatic can shift. During each shift of a manual transmission, you're actually loosing acceleration, thus loosing time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
"During each shift of a manual transmission, you're actually loosing acceleration, thus loosing time."
Try telling that to Ronnie Sox.
Actually an auto take advantage of the torque multiplication that a properly selected torque converter supplies. They also are more constant. However, manual trans usually soak up less power and can use multiple gears to keep the engine up in the power band longer. A seasoned racer who can power shift a manual can be every bit as competitive as someone in an auto.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel tank cleaned itself out over time, I'm just going to pressure wash it sooner or later and then I think i'll be good to go.

I'm not planning a conversion yet, definitely in the future, I think I prefer a manual tranny, but I have to wait for the money to convert it. Do you have to cut the tunnel to install a 4 speed?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
A manual trans will beat the same automatic equipped car if the cars are stock or not finely tuned race cars..The manual trans takes less power to run and lets you launch and shift at whatever rpm you want..Take a 5.0 mustang 5 speed vs a similar auto car..Its no contest..Notice most of fords hi performance factory cars had manual trannys.....The automatic is usually more consistant for bracket racing but that doesn't mean it is faster....If you have the correct parts you don't need to cut any holes for the swap and usually mileage will increase as well.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Having had some racing experience with both, I would opine much depends on the driver ;) :D

I know for sure the manual trans always "felt" faster/quicker, whether that was reflected in the numbers or not.

My best all-around success was with a C4, 8" converter and trans brake.

Pat

·
Registered
621 Posts
I love the feel of a stick shift but unless you can really drive good an automatic will probably be faster. Driving a stick shift right to me means having the pedal all the way to the floor at your max RPM's when shifting between gears. Can you afford to miss? Will you like buying clutches, transmissions, engines or having a clutch blow up at your feet without a scatter shield? Wait until you get everything else straightened out on your stang before you start playing with an expensive mod if you already have a good C-4.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
lemonshindig said:
Do you have to cut the tunnel to install a 4 speed?
No, but you do have to poke a hole in the firewall for the clutch rod.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
paulwall said:
lemonshindig said:
Do you have to cut the tunnel to install a 4 speed?
No, but you do have to poke a hole in the firewall for the clutch rod.
I switched my '65 from c-4 to toploader back in 1980,
didn't have to cut anything. The shifter popped right up through the auto hole, the hold down bolts for the stock shifter boot even match up to the threaded holes. There is a rod hole already there for the clutch, but I can't remember if it needed punched out (like an electric box). I had a doner car, but all in all, it was a pretty easy swap. Years later, when I swapped the toploader for a T-5, still used the same clutch, and the shifter fits right up in the original hole. If you like rowing gears, slap it in and get happy. :p
Later,
Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts