Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im fixing up the trunk on my 66 mustang... and as I was pulling ALOT of stuff out I wondered what the rest of you keep in you mustang trunk. In mine I had everything a scissor jack, emergency fluids for the car, some random blankets and tons of original car parts. After this little clean up... plan on just as few items as possible.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A spare tire mounted on an original Styled Steel wheel, the OE jack and tool, and one of those matching plaid trunk bags containing a spare coil, points plate with points and condenser, a roll of heavy duty tape and a few hand tools rolled up in a big towel to keep them quiet so I have something to kneel or lay on if needed. All I have to do is pull the bag and I'm "stock". My fire extinguisher is in the front where the people go, since the trunk may not open after a collision.

·
Administrator
19,647 Posts
Currently? Battery, amp, subwoofer, aluminum jack set from a 300ZX, and aluminum "mini spare" from a Crown Victoria. For traveling I have two different "road kit" tool bags. One metric and one standard. I grab the appropriate one there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a shovel a flash light and a rolled up rug with a Oops I have said too much already.

Right now the 66 has 3 wheels and tires on the pass side since it is on 3 jack stands while I am working on the drivers rocker and I wanted a little extra ballast over there.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
My battery and a cardboard box full of stuff. Box has spare fuses, spare bulbs, leather/cloth gloves, can of fix-a-flat (since I don't have a spare due to my battery location), paper towels, Gerber multitool, zip-ties, 1/2" wrench for battery cables and distributor hold down, screwdriver for carb adjustments, small spool of wire to hang exhaust or whatever if a bracket fails, bottle of water, headlamp, duct tape, small amount of wire, spare spark plugs, tire pressure gauge, and hand tools to install/repair the above items.

My fire extinguisher is mounted inside so it can quickly be grabbed when needed.

Ultimately though, I've had my car break down 3 times and none of the items I bring along helped (I have an insurance policy which includes free tows and used a flatbed each time). The first time I needed a tow was when one of my Hurst shifter rods lost a spring clip and locked in reverse (car is too low to get underneath); I replaced all the Hurst spring clips with cotter pins and washers. The second time was when the top bolt holding the Hurst shifter to the mounting plate backed out and I couldn't shift (car is too low so I just had it towed home and then reinstalled the two shifter bolts with red loctite). The last time was when my battery failed and no amount of jumping helped (tow truck even tried using a battery jump pack and it would start but as soon as the pack was disconnected the car would die).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a complete toolbox in the back of my 66 mustang, along with a 5 LB Halon fire extinguisher, all automotive fluids, aluminum scissor jack from a 2016 Honda Pilot, small bag of detailing supplies, export brace that I've yet to install on the car, and two 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that I've yet to mount onto rims.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The speckled trunk mat. A couple Mustang bags with towels and detailing stuff and other stuff for shows. Fire extinguisher. Folding Chair. Show posters and stand.
The original jack turned itself into a U when I was using it back in the '90s to change a flat.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Trunk mat and a car duster. My Shelby gets "trucked" everywhere since it has a 5.29 rear gear and Goodyear slicks. All the tools and stuff are in the truck I haul it in.
Randy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fire ext, tool box with sockets, ratchets, wrenches, miscellaneous tools, a small jack, Small Jump-pac in case battery dies, a can of fix a flat, a couple things of spare fluids, such as a qt of oil, brake fluid, and a gallon of antifreeze. But then again, I daily drive this thing so I like to be prepared for anything LOL

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Chineseium Craftsman 220pc tool kit, spare tire, jack & lug wrench. Oh, and a spare fuel pump. Halon extinguisher is in the back footwell. Beyond that, I'll call AAA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts