Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a very clean 1969 Boss 302 that he's thinking about selling as it has been sitting in his garage for years and he feels it deserves a better home. He states that the car is 99% complete and the only original items it lacks is the collapsible spare tire, the OEM jack, and the chrome valve covers. The car was professionally restored years ago, and the build sheet was found under the trunk mat. It's yellow with black trim and rear window slats. The car is clean and he takes it out every now and then to make sure everything is still working. The car is located in Alabama. He wants some real world advice on a price for his 69, and not some online guide geared towards the auction crowd.

Moderators - if this isn't the place for this, let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
where in alabama

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Boss302.com is the Boss 302 registry and site where he can find all the pertinent information for them.

Also might check Hagerty for value.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Boss 302 prices can vary from $40,000 to $100,000 depending upon how original and how well optioned the car is. Any missing pieces such as the rev limiter will cause a large deduction in price. The '69 is more valuable than a '70 due to lower production. As stated www.boss302.com is the place to start.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I know of three yellow Boss 2s in Alabama. You can see one in the middle of this pic in the distance. I guess there are more...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
The '69 is more valuable than a '70 due to lower production.
I'm looking at a valuation guide published in Mustang Monthly (December 2012) that shows just the opposite. Was there some particular option or option group available in '69 (but not in '70) that justifies a bump for them being more valuable beyond just total production numbers? This guide has '70 Boss 302's across the board (depending on condition) ranging from $1.5K to $7K more than the '69's. It's curious.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
A good round guess would be ~$70-75 but I have read on the B2 forum that options like a Shaker and Detroit Locker and gearing alone can change 10K of the value between equal cars.
Just gonna have to go through the "sold" parts of auctions and find similar ones, keep in mind the auction fees they pay. I think you'll find cherries for $90+ and drivers for mid-low $60s.
Just tell him to start on the high side, like $80 maybe someone within a couple hundred miles will pay more to not mess with traveling and shipping with an auction.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Put it on eBay with a ridiculous reserve and let the market decide.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
I'm looking at a valuation guide published in Mustang Monthly (December 2012) that shows just the opposite. Was there some particular option or option group available in '69 (but not in '70) that justifies a bump for them being more valuable beyond just total production numbers? This guide has '70 Boss 302's across the board (depending on condition) ranging from $1.5K to $7K more than the '69's. It's curious.
I am not aware of any options that were available in '69 and not in '70. In my experience the '69 is more desirable due to the people like me who think the '69 with it's 4 headlights was the best looking Mustang ever. And there were fewer of them made so it is harder to find one For Sale.
Unfortunately the shaker scoop did not become available until the '70 model year. Both years had the rear louvers and spoiler available.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boss 302 prices can vary from $40,000 to $100,000 depending upon how original and how well optioned the car is. Any missing pieces such as the rev limiter will cause a large deduction in price. The '69 is more valuable than a '70 due to lower production. As stated www.boss302.com is the place to start.
According to the owner, it has everything minus the three items I posted originally. I know it has the rev limiter because I have a picture of the car with the hood up, and I can see it mounted on the driver side apron. :) He also let me know that along with the build sheet, he has the original receipt when the car was first sold. It also has the rear spoiler.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
1969 are worth more purely because of rareness. 1969 were 1628 and 1970 there were 7013. Not too many option available in 1969. Just wheels, tires, rearend ratio, open vs closed ration trans, Deluxe vs standard interior, and tachometer is what I can remember off top of my head. With 3.91 and 4.11 you may get the oil cooler (don't call it drag pack or they will troll you about it lol). Most value bump would be oil cooler. Next 2 desirable were deluxe interior and tach in my opinion. Color matters a lot in bosses to some people. The favorite colors are usually blue > white > calypso coral> yellow but not too important to most people. Only 4 colors and not a lot of cars, people cant be too picky. 1970 there were more color options and car options. Way more complex to figure out value. But to most people not worth as much as a 1969. But there are faction that like the 1970 cars more. Mine is a 1970 with most the options. Someone got cheap and did not get the magnums lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts