Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Whats it worth 1969 mach 1

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  stroker393 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a 69' mach 1 with a 428 cobra jet motor. As far as what i've been told, what is not original is the interior which used to be red and the hood with the shaker. Has a mardi report that comes with it.
Also, it will eventually need a paint job, maybe sooner than later

Any help is much appreciated

#5 ·
As far as what it's worth, no idea. What is the asking price?

If I were to buy it, I'd drive it as is while making a game plan/securing parts for turning it back to stock interior and taking care of any of the the little fiddly-bits it needs. Then paint back to stock color.

Best of luck

John

#7 ·
You should go to the For Sale section of this forum and look at the asking prices of CJ Mach 1's.
Then you should go to BAT and do a search for 1969 Mustangs and see the "Sold" prices.

Then you should compare the cars that sold for 50K- 80K and compare to what you are buying.

IMO -- I was thinking 45K for this car. By the time you fix the rust (which means paint) and interior you will have 70K + invested. (and the original motor is long gone)
At the 70K point you are getting into really nice driver level CJ mustangs.

When you get over 100K the devil is in the details (MCA certification), and typically they are numbers matching cars which this one will never be.

To me this is the perfect car to have fun with -- Get it at a fair price, fix it as you go, have fun on Friday Nights. (There are plenty of these out there-- don't rush into buying one)

#10 ·
You should go to the For Sale section of this forum and look at the asking prices of CJ Mach 1's.
Then you should go to BAT and do a search for 1969 Mustangs and see the "Sold" prices.

Then you should compare the cars that sold for 50K- 80K and compare to what you are buying.

IMO -- I was thinking 45K for this car. By the time you fix the rust (which means paint) and interior you will have 70K + invested. (and the original motor is long gone)
At the 70K point you are getting into really nice driver level CJ mustangs.

When you get over 100K the devil is in the details (MCA certification), and typically they are numbers matching cars which this one will never be.

To me this is the perfect car to have fun with -- Get it at a fair price, fix it as you go, have fun on Friday Nights. (There are plenty of these out there-- don't rush into buying one)
I will look at BAT since I didn't know you can sell at old sale's.

Why are you thinking the original motor is gone? (I'm new to the whole classic mustang world)

#13 ·
I should add that for a high value car you need to check everything carefully. A car of this value could be a rebody. Check sheet metal date codes against the Marti report build date. Check the hidden VIN's for correctness.

#17 ·
Vin is supposed to be stamped on the rear of the block just below the drivers side cylinder head. BUT, a lot of them got stamped on the cylinder head. After a repair or a rebuild that VIN can appear on the FRONT of the passenger cylinder head.

#18 ·
The car has staggered rear shocks so the Q (non- Shaker) appears to be correct with the 4 speed trans. As I understand it a Q or R code ordered with the C6 automatic did not get the staggered shocks.
I see some serious rust in the doors. It appears that one of them is actually de-laminating. If the door rust is that bad I'd be seriously concerned about the rest of the car.

#21 ·
A factory 428 CJ Mach 1 with a 4-speed is a very valuable car. As mentioned, this car will need more than paint. The doors are completely shot. The car will likely need new doors at the very least. Definitely get some pictures of the undercarriage. There may be more rust under there.

The bad news is properly fixing this car for paint will likely be about $20,000 or more if you pay a shop to do all the rust repair. The cowl and floor pans could also be shot. The good news is since it's a factory 428 CJ car with a 4-speed, it has a lot of value and, if you can afford to have it fixed, it would be worthwhile.

#22 ·
I'm pretty sure this car is in Kansas and the seller was asking 58k for it

#25 ·
I'm in this same boat but selling mine. Non shaker 428 cj. Non original paint and interior (was acapulco blue with white, now silver jade with black). Not much documentation of the restoration but Marti report. I think between 50 and 60 is going to be the fair price for mine. I tend to agree with Cason above that mid to high 40s considering condition (only by pics you've posted) would be fair.

#27 ·
I agree 100% with this statement, in the current market anything at or under $60K is a screaming deal. Completed listings from eBay:

1- 1969 fully restored 428CJ 4 speed, originally non shaker car sold $100K: 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - 428 Cobra Jet R Code 4 Speed | eBay

2-1969 428CJ 4 speed car, NON-MATCHING numbers, no Marti Report, described as driver quality, modified with aftermarket "racing" parts sold 60K: 1969 Ford Mustang | eBay

3- 1969 restored M code 4 speed car, with aftermarket "racing" parts clearly visible, sold for $56K: 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 mach 1 | eBay

4- 1969 428 SCJ automatic, supposedly a 53,000 mile survivor, but they state the car has been repainted (obviously), seems to have had work done all over it, but is listed as a survivor... sold $97.5K: 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 428 Super Cobra Jet | eBay

When people are paying close to 60K for a restored M-code, an R code car in descent/good condition, as this one seems to be, is easily worth that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.