Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Last year I bought a '66 convertible, drove it for the summer and started restoring it end of last year. Have just finished last weekend and I need Your help as to it's value for my insurance.
It's a 1966 Mustang Convertible, painted in dark blue metallic by Ford, the closest I could find to the original. I had the original paint computer analyzed and mixed the new paint accordingly.
We stripped the car to the metal. It had 2 minor rust spots. The first one under the chrome strip at the rear and the second at the bottom front of the passenger door. The rest, including floor, underneath, trunk etc etc were totally rust free.
The car was imported from California in 1996 to Europe.
Both rust spots were cut out and we welded new metal in.
The car received first a protective coating, than base coat followed by the color and finally ceramic clear coat.

Every chrome outside is like new. Anything was replaced with NOS parts where available. Carpets, seats, door panels etc etc everything has been changed according to the records I found on the front left door plate and the left front fender.
The fender reads : 6R08A202505
The plate reads : 6R08A202505 Body : 76A, Color K, Trim 22, Date 19E, DSO 72, Axle 1, Trans 6
The transmission, a 3-speed C4 (I believe) reads : Fomoco PEES C8ZPB B6
It has a 289 engine with 4v Holley carb.
The car drives and handles absolutely great, it drives straight, doesn't swerve under braking... and it looks gorgeous (sorry couldn't get the pics up, didn't know how to do it)
The top is all new, with storage bag etc etc. Original AM radio still works. All electric works except for back up lights and emergency flasher. The trunk is detailed with correct carpet, spare tire, jack etc etc. All weather stripping has been changed.

Engine and trany have not been touched, except for oil and filter changes. Also changed spark plugs, wires, battery with tray, master brake cylinder and upper ball joints. Carb has been tuned by a pro. As said I don't feel that mecanically anything else needs to be done as it drives absolutely great (just as smooth as the 2002 convertible we rented last year on our Florida holiday)

Now my questions What's this baby worth??? is it a matching numbers car (or what is a matching numbers car)??

Sorry for being so long
Thanks for your help and advice

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
You make things a little tough since I don't really know what the market does in Europe, and of course I haven't seen the quality of your paint job or resto myself. That said, I'd ballpark it at $18,000.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Also, matching numbers has to do with the stamped id on the engine, both fender stamps, and the door.
So, where is the number stamped onto the engine and when did they start doing that? I'm just curious, the car belonging to SWMBO has matching numbers on the door and passenger side fender. No number on the driver side fender that I can see and I don't have aclue where to look on the engine. This is a 64 1/2 btw.

Z.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

thanks for the hint, but where can i find a number on the engine??

Are these Thrust D II polished wheels you've got on your car??

regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

we did all the prep work for the paint. Sanded the entire car down to the metal, used new metal on the 2 rust spots, flatened out any small dings or "waves" with filler. The painting was done in a professional spray booth by a pro painter. It's dark blue metalic with a ceramic clearcoat.
Every single part, including all weatherstrips, door locks etc etc were removed before printing.

thanks for your advice

best regards

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sounds sweet!

You may find the engine tag on the front manifold bolt... this will give basic engine information and a build date. The date should be within a few weeks of the given scheduled build date on your warrenty (door) tag. There are also casting dates on many of the engine component, plus tags for the carb (well, not yours since you have a Holley now), dizzy, etc. Numbers matching simply means that all VINs hidden around the car match, and that the parts have casting dates consistant with the build date of the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Steve.

Your input is highly appreciated this side of the big pond.

Isn't this site simply GREAT

regards
paddy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts