Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about selling my 68 GT FB so that I can start another project, the car only has about 500 miles since the complete resto.
The car has;
New floors and torque boxes
Professionally built 331 stroker with Comp roller cam and roller rockers, dyno 400hp and 425trq
Edelbrock intake, Dart Pro 1 heads and Hooker long tubes
Centerforce clutch, Tremec TKO 600 trans, rebuilt 9 inch with True trac limited slip
All new front suspension and steering using Opentracker parts
New rear springs, Bilstein shocks all around
All new brakes with power front disc conversion
New interior with new dash, instruments and 3 point seatbelts

The car is located in Connecticut
I've got about 40 grand into it, any idea what I might get for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compliments that come from people who know what they are talking about mean a lot, thanks.
The car drives so great that I hate to sell it but on the other hand I would like to start another project and I would need the room in my garage as well as the money.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very nice looking car. Is that highland green or aqua (tough to tell with reflections/sunlight).

Of course pricing depends on the condition of the car and level of repair done during restoration. From your list the hardware is certainly well chosen and a stout combo. I would think you can easily get between $30-35k, depending on how quickly you want to sell it. You can ask $40k and drop the price depending on interest you get. GLWS!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Given the demand for 67/68 FB and if its a real GT, 40 is reasonable in this market, you might put it on --bay with BIN for $45 and best-offer option. If you have the original parts to restore it with, it might go a little higher. Sorry you have to sell it, they don't come along very often in life.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm sure that if I finish my Hipo, I will end up selling it lol Good luck and as uncledoodoo says, post it on Ebay with a starting price of 45k OBO. Nothing to lose but around $50-$60 for the listing if it doesn't sell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice looking car. Is that highland green or aqua (tough to tell with reflections/sunlight).

Of course pricing depends on the condition of the car and level of repair done during restoration. From your list the hardware is certainly well chosen and a stout combo. I would think you can easily get between $30-35k, depending on how quickly you want to sell it. You can ask $40k and drop the price depending on interest you get. GLWS!
According to the Marti report, the car was originally Highland green. However, it was painted by a previous owner with an Emerald green with some gold metallic. The car had very few original parts when I bought it so I wasn't worried about originality.
I'm not sure if this car would be considered a restomod but it sure handles and performs better than stock.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I am thinking about selling my 68 GT FB so that I can start another project, the car only has about 500 miles since the complete resto.

I've got about 40 grand into it, any idea what I might get for it?
It is a beautiful car. May I ask:
1. How long have you owned it?
2. How long did it take you to resto/mod it?
3. Was it originally a GT?
4. Is that the original color?
5. Are those SN95 seats?
6. How long has it been since the resto was completed (time)?
7. Why are you tired of it or did you intent to restore/flip it?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
660 Posts
According to the Marti report, the car was originally Highland green. However, it was painted by a previous owner with an Emerald green with some gold metallic. The car had very few original parts when I bought it so I wasn't worried about originality.
I'm not sure if this car would be considered a restomod but it sure handles and performs better than stock.
An original GT in Highland green would bring a premium IF 100% original. But I would certainly consider this a restomod at this point, so originality is out the window at this point (unless you have all the original parts stored). Either way it is a very desirable car.
I'm sure you are aware that there are essentially two camps (Concourse and Resto-mod). Resto-mods rarely bring top-dollar for cars like this (mine too) but they are still highly sought after (and more fun in my opinion). Like I originally wrote, your asking price should be guided by how quickly you want to move the car and start your next project. $40k would be at the top end of current market, but is not out of the question.
A guy looking for a concourse project would likely not offer the same amount of money because he would have to do a lot of work to restore the car to (close to) original stock. At this point that would be an expensive proposition that would lead to a likely low-ball offer to minimize his total investment.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Beautiful car. Definitely resto mod. I'm sure you are aware that resto mod or resto concours is normally a money sink hole.

Here's my opinion in general:
For the buyer a finished car is generally a better buy than doing the resto on a project. But for many the hobby is the project.

Now comparing finished cars:
The restored to as original (Marti for post 65/66) can have an appraised value as a baseline.
The resto mod may have many improvements over stock original. It's done to your liking. Seller has limited
buyer market plus little to no means of a meaningful appraisal.

A buyer that wants a concours show car needs to strip your car back and re do much of what you have done, so much of that $40K is negative!

You may want to consider PMing Laurie, our concours advisor for advice. Her Trouble is a beautiful 68 fastback resto mod she's done a hellova lot of work/mods on.

Slim

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a beautiful car. May I ask:
1. How long have you owned it?
2. How long did it take you to resto/mod it?
3. Was it originally a GT?
4. Is that the original color?
5. Are those SN95 seats?
6. How long has it been since the resto was completed (time)?
7. Why are you tired of it or did you intent to restore/flip it?

Thanks
Paul
I'm not really sure that I want to sell it, that's my dilemma, I love driving it but I kind of miss working on a project.
To answer your questions
I have owned it for almost two years
It took me about a year and a half to do the work, I did everything myself except for the rebuilding the engine and rearend.
It is an original GT (Marti report) it is not the original color.
The seats are Procar elite
I just finished the resto a few weeks ago and I am not tired of the car, in fact I love it. I did not buy this car with the intension of flipping it. I'm just trying to figure out a way start another project.
Maybe I am crazy.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So you built this to keep yet you want to now sell to start another project. Does that mean if you sell this one and start another one with the intention of keeping, your then going to sell that one so you can do yet another one? Where does it end :)

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Is it a money issue or more a space issue...or both?
If it mainly just storage space so you can work on the next project maybe you can find a place to keep it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got so used to spending all my free time working on the car and now that its done I think I am having withdrawals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts