Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
The axle housing itself, 3rd member, and axles (if yours are non-tapered) are the only differences from '65/'66 C-code/A-code to K-code. Original equipment 65/66 28-spline non-tapered axles are the same for the 8" and 9".

If the axle housing itself you're using doesn't have the taper at end of shafts like the original '65/'66 8"/9" housing then you need to substitute different plates ('67) on the leaf springs from what I understand.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Your question is a bit vague. What are we working on here? If you have the correct 9 inch housing that is complete them all you have to do is bolt it in and hook up the emergency brake the hydraulic brakes and the vent hose.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Here's what I used:
QUICK PERFORMANCE 66 MUSTANG 9" SM BEARING 31-SPL AXLE PKG ($765 shipped)
REBUILT FORD 9" 3RD MEMBER 3.50:1 OPEN 31-SPL W/FILL PLUG 1330 PINION YOKE ($425 shipped)
CUSTOM (9" REAR W/3" AXLE) REAR SPRING SHOCK PLATES ($53.50 shipped)

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
+1 on quick performance. I have his 9" housing and 31 spline axles in my 65 Falcon. I stayed with the small bearing axle bearings and used my original 8" backing plates and drums and also had the housing and axles narrowed 7/16" on each side. You will need the 67+ Mustang shock plates but will need to elongate the holes slightly to fit the bigger 3" axle tubes or buy the aftermarket 3" plates that Brydon at quick performance uses. http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Ford-Housing-Axle-Package-65-66-Ford-Mustang-Rearend-/391436075718?hash=item5b236882c6:m:mkUhyaa6y0_XkgcaeXJ0brA&vxp=mtr
This is what I used for a third member from Roush racing
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/865057-roush-yates-9-a.html

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
No there is a guy selling a ford 9 on CL with high gears, so i am curious if its a direct bolt on or not.
Since you have a 65 a 9 inch from 65 or 66 Mustang will bolt in without changing rear width. 67+ rear axles are wider. So you need to find out for certain if the 9 inch you are looking at is from a 65/66.

Paul

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The old school classic bolt in for a 65-66 "narrow" car is a 57-59 Ford rear. I had one in my '66 years ago. The 3rd members weren't particularly stout in those days, but you would probably want a newer traction lock or TrueTrac unit anyway.

Just about every other 9" housing out there will be too wide to fit without shortening, or different offset wheels.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
671 Posts
For me, all I had to do was shorten the drive shaft since the 9 also reaches out a bit futher

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
For me, all I had to do was shorten the drive shaft since the 9 also reaches out a bit futher
That is right. The drive shaft for the Shelbys, and K codes which use the 9" rear is almost exactly one inch shorter.

For a 9" rear:

For a 65/66 it should measure 49 23/32"
For a 67 it should measure 50 1/64"

For a 8" rear:

65/66.

51 1/16" for automatics and 50 25/33" for manual Trans.

50 31/32". For either transmission.

Data from Tony Gregory's book "The 289 High Performance Mustang"

Z

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh yeah! that's what it was 1 inch. the drive shaft was sent for re balanced

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Really depends on what pinion yoke is on the 9" if your driveshaft needs to be shortened. The short yoke will be the same as the stock 8". At least that has been my experience with them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For what it's worth, I installed the Quick Performance 9" rear with the Ford Explorer aluminum drive shaft and it fit perfectly in my '66 coupe. No trimming required.

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
Really depends on what pinion yoke is on the 9" if your driveshaft needs to be shortened. The short yoke will be the same as the stock 8". At least that has been my experience with them.
Yes, these days peope have used both the short and long nosed pinion yoke. But as far as I know Ford used the long yoke exclusively on the K codes with the 9" rear, which would then require the shorter driveshaft to be used. It's my understanding that the long yoke is stronger

Cmefly, do you have any information or theories regarding why Ford used the longer yoke vs. the short one ?

Z

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Yes, these days peope have used both the short and long nosed pinion yoke. But as far as I know Ford used the long yoke exclusively on the K codes with the 9" rear, which would then require the shorter driveshaft to be used. It's my understanding that the long yoke is stronger

Cmefly, do you have any information or theories regarding why Ford used the longer yoke vs. the short one ?

Z
I will say I have 2 nascar third members and they both use the Short style yoke but of course they are billet. Having a shorter driveline does help with the critical speed of the driveshaft allowing more RPM before the driveshaft breaks. Maybe Ford thought the 1" shorter driveshaft was safer at the higher RPM the K codes were capable of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts