Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... Just bought a 1970 Sportsroof last week. Grabber blue, with original paint, wheels, and interior. It has the front and rear spoilers and the louvers. Anyway.. took it to the track yesterday for All-Ford Day, and as soon as I left the line, it acted like it was running out of gas. I looked in the filter and it was full of rust. UGH. How do I get rid of this?????

·
Registered
143 Posts
You could try flushing the tank, sending unit and lines and it might be OK for a while, but new tanks are cheap ($125.00 or so?) and I would put a new one on.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree with randyh on this. The best way to take care of the problem is to replace the tank and if not the sending unit, at least make sure there is a filter on the fuel pickup in the tank.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Buy another car...

hehehe...

Seriously, you got good advice...water may have taken up residence in the tank and the bottom could exit at some point in the future...

I remember having a small (for racing) inline fuel filter in the race car and got a bad batch of race gas which clogged it up.....replaced little filter with big canister-style Fram unit and fired fuel vendor..

Have fun!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with camachinist, a new car is in order, he,he. Just joking of coarse! I would however consider purchasing a new tank. My first thought was, if it is rusted really bad inside, it may leak and that would be a bad thing. Play it safe and get it replaced soon. From what I read its not a hard job to do. Good luck. James.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yup -- sounds like water in the fuel tank. You can try dumping in some rubbing alcohol before replacing anything. It will cause the water to mix with the gas and rid you of it. Hey, it's cheaper than a new tank. You can also try draining the tank. Gas is lighter than water so the water will be on the bottom. If you choose to drain the tank, lift the front end and cant the whole car a little so that the tank drain is lower than the rest of the tank. That way, everything will drain out of the tank. I had the same problem with a non-Ford in the '80's and the alcohol did the trick. Also keep a couple extra fuel filters with you; it will take a few fillups, in my experience, to get it out if you don't want to drain it.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Definitely replace the tank but you should also replace the rubber fuel line sections under the driver's side along the frame and in the engine compartment to the fuel pump. They can also collect rust deposits and, even with the new tank, you could foul your fuel filter.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If there was a lot of rust in the filter, you might also want to check the float boals to see if any got any. This can really mess up your carb and make it run bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts