Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so after running FLAWLESSLY 250 miles yesterday at 70MPH to the show and back, the Shelby decides to rain on my parade this morning (I decided to drive it to the office today - I'm addicted to driving the thing!). Well, I start it up like I always do, foot on the clutch a squirt of gas and turn the key. Starts right up but wait, what's that sound - on a quick tap of the throttle, there's a 'squeak-squeak' sound coming from the trans area. Let the clutch out and it goes away... is it, could it be, a throwout bearing? What does that? Sounds like I have some work to do regardless! And no, I don't rest my foot on the clutch pedal or my hand on the shifter when I'm driving.

Ideas? Pointers? Direction?

Thanks in advance!

-bob

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sounds like the throwout bearing to me also. Good news is, it will most likly come and go for a bit before it starts to sing all the time.

When you replace this, you should resurface the flywheel, use a self centering release bearing, also a new pilot bearing, a new clutch and pressure plate. Replace everything and you'll not have to go back in there for years.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Agree - at first blush, it sounds like a noisy throwout bearing... May improve, but probably not longterm. Do you feel any vibration or "roughness" thru the pedal?

You might check your clutch adjustment. If the clutch engages too high up in the pedal travel, your throwout bearing may not be completely releasing from the clutch fingers - same effect as "riding" the clutch...

Yeah, I HAVE worked on cars with the "extra pedal" before also... :: ;)

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No 'roughness' when it's happening, just the noise... also, it's notable that the T-10 was completely gone through last winter when I had the engine rebuilt... So, what kind of stuff could happen if all the stuff is brand new?

-bob

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I've seen new throwout bearings start howling less than six months after installing them. I don't know if it's because the bearings were poor quality or because they were slightly engaged all the time and were constantly spinning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts