Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rebuild my front suspension and I plan on doing so by the end of september, so I'm not surprised or worried about this squeaking really, I'm just curious as to what it is.

On relatively cool days there is no squeaking especially if I haven't driven it in a while. But on those really hot and humid days it constantly squeaks so bad it's almost unbearable.

My best guess, and the most obvious one is that a poly part on the suspension is really worn out and expands on those really hot days causing the squeaking, but what part? The ball joints?

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Howdy! I've got a 65 Hardtop 200ci 6 cyl. I was having the same problem with mine, my front end needs redone too, but I found that greasing the upper control arms helped quiet the noise for a short time, but it was coming back after a week or 2, so I greased it again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recomend a good kit? I'm looking for complete upper and lower arms with all the bushings and goodies.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with anyone here - just FYI on what my '67 front end squeak turned out to be. It was due to very shot strut rod bushings. The squeak would really be bad when you pressed and then let off the brakes - applying positive and negative force to the strut rods, but it was also present just driving it around - more like a "rattle type" squeak... Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know I think you might be right. I was driving around with a friend who did a lot of work on his suspension (VW GTI) and he suggested the same thing.

He said the bushings don't squeak like that when they get worn out. Don't know if that's true.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
He said the bushings don't squeak like that when they get worn out
VW suspensions are a little different than 40 year old Mustang suspensions. If you can make it squeek by pushing up and down on the bumper, it's your upper a-arms. This can be proven by lubing them (if yours have zirk fittings and you can get a grease gun on them). That will quiet them, but IME, only for a couple weeks before they start squeeking again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
www.mustangsplus.com sells great suspension parts, they have factory replacement as well as higher performance items. They build and race their own cars. I've ordered enough parts in general from them that I could probably build an entire car. =) I've always had great customer service also, if thst an issue your taking into consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts