Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a mildly modified 289. I'm looking for good street/strip performance. I've got hedders, intake, carb, and an xpipe. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
With such a small motor, I'd keep the duration down on a car with mild street gears......no more than 220 degrees of NET intake duration, or 270 GROSS intake duration

It's just as well......the rockers and studs on the heads cant take high lift/ spring pressure

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
What is your transmission (Stock converter?) and rear end ratio?

These are critical issues when selecting a cam.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a stock 3spd with the stock converter. Rear end is also stock at 2.80. That will soon be changing probably to 3.50.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I ran the Ford Racing .472/.496 lift 214/224 duration cam with a C4 and 3.55 gears. I liked it very much. If you are going to switch gears soon, I would recommend that cam. I also had the .448/.472, 204/214 cam. If you are not going to be swapping gears soon, that is a torquey cam and is matched to the Performer intake.

Go for a double roller timing chain. They last longer than stock chains. Any brand will do.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Just a few unsolicited comments.
1) The drag strip is a totally different world. There is no such thing as a "decent street/strip cam". If there is a performance level(ET) you desire, name it, and we can reccomend a combination that will get you there.
2) Most of the top cam companies sell a big kit that includes cam, springs, lifters, retainers, locks, and timing set. They also have tech lines with very knowledgeable techies to help you determine exactly what you want.
3) A bigger cam, headers, carb, and manifold will very often rob you of your previous low end torque. Unless you want to leave every stop light at 4000+ RPMs, be careful what you ask for. This is what I meant by no such thing as decent street/strip.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I'm not exactly sure what a 'big' cam would be. I know there are different durations and lifts but I don't know what the difference is between the numbers. Thanks again.

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts