Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to remove and reinstall the windshield of my 69 Coupe to replace the Vinyl top, and headliner. I was told that a foam polyethylene dbl sided tape is what to use, but I would like to hear from someone in this forum who knows what works best. Thank you.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I use 3M ribbon sealer 5/16".You can replace the headliner without pulling the glass but its a PITA

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Are you talking the windshield or backlight? If you're talking the backlight, use a butyl caulk. If you're talking the windsheild ... DON'T DO IT! There is no need to remove the windsheild on a '69/later, as NEITHER the headliner nor the vinal top will go under the glass. If you're going to remove it, use a piano wire to cut through the old seal, and even then, the risk is extremely high that you will break the windshield removing it (don't ask how I know that). Get the right mastic, available from most Mustang shops to re-glue the windsheild back in.

On the '69/later, the windsheild TRIM holds the front of the headliner ... NOT the windshield, like in the '68/prior.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I am glad I asked! I will leave the windshield in because I have terrible luck with glass. Thanks guys.
Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts