Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best types and what should i look for? im lucky or i guess unlucky in that all the metal repair so far has been bad enough the spot welds broke with a chisel. but i want to do the cowl next and ill need a remover there

you see some with center drills and some with out. what size is the most common for mustang spot welds?

TIA
danny

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I used the Blair spotweld cutter with good results. I see the new model looks even more durable.
Take your time with the cutter, smooth and don't rush the cut. Use a punch to keep the bit from walking. Use WD-40 while cutting.

They worked well for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check out ROTO BROACH pricey but you can get from MAC tools w/lifetime warrenty comes as a kit with several size cutters Ive used one for 3 yrs no problems.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I also like/used the Blair when I did my cowl. You will break the cutter if you 'rock' the bit side to side. You MUST take your time. But they worked great for me. For any spot welds that I have to remove...that's what I'll always grab for. Unless you don't car about the piece behind it...then a 3/8 drill Bullet bit works great!

As a side note, use some self-tapping screws around the edge of the cowl. This will aid greatly in realigning everything come assembly time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Check out the cutter that NAPA sells. Easy to get locally, cheaper than some and if you break it you can flip the head and use the other side. Worked better for me than the Eastwood cutter did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts