Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of 69 Cougar bezels that has this thin brown film glazed over the chrome, almost like it's a corrosion of some sort. The stuff is pretty tuff, I can barely scratch it off with my finger nails. I don't want to put swirls or scratches in the chrome by trying to scrub this stuff off, as the chrome is actually is pretty nice shape with very few pits. Just need to get this junk off so I can polish up the bezels. Any idea on how to proceed, or stuff to use? thanks...

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/3F/6D/11359807-1cf1-01840123-.jpg

·
Registered
916 Posts
I always use a real fine steel wool, which takes the haze right off and doesn't scratch the chrome.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,734 Posts
I wouldn't use any less than 0000 steel wool to avoid scratching. I'd try chrome polish (a lot of it ) first. I try to keep a wide variety of polishes handy. You never know which one might work best at cleaning a particular type of mung off.
I've used polish for "silver" silverware successfully on something that looked similar to your particular problem. Worth a shot and definitely non-scratching.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes, 000 or Very fine steel wool works wonders with old chrome, takes off any paint overspray as well..
Don

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You might want to try a soft abrasive tub and tile cleaner your wife probably has in the house. Soft Scrub is one that comes to mind. This should get it off without any damage...

K

·
0 Posts
Try Krylon chrome paint/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm actually home for the week!
Read my post on Demon carbs to find out about my latest headache.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If using steel wool, try spraying it with WD-40 also. I saw this on a post a while back and it helped with chrome I was cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts