Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to raise the back end of my 68 coupe. I have air shocks on it now but I hear thats a bid no no. My craigers are the hot rod style that is reversed out past the fender a little which my son likes. I heard you can get lowering springs or stock springs bot no springs to raise above stock ride? Is this right? Or are the air shocks ok to use?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Actually you can buy leaf springs that will raise the car .5-1.0", although I will have to look up where as I didn't save the bookmark in my favorites. It is defintely an old school look and not seen very often. Another thought is tire size too, as that can significantly contribute to the height on the rear as well.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually you can buy leaf springs that will raise the car .5-1.0", although I will have to look up where as I didn't save the bookmark in my favorites. It is defintely an old school look and not seen very often. Another thought is tire size too, as that can significantly contribute to the height on the rear as well.
It has wide wheels in the back with wide tires and when he hit a bump tires would rub the fender. I was just going to sell the wheels and get another set but he really likes the old school look.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ymurf...whats your measurement from the center of your rear wheel to the fender lip? Maybe your current springs are just old and saggy...or have a low spring rate. Measure it and lets go from there...

From the pic I cant even tell they stick out past the fender lips...

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you rolled or shaved the inner fender lip...would they still rub? Because height wise...you have room

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ymurf...whats your measurement from the center of your rear wheel to the fender lip? Maybe your current springs are just old and saggy...or have a low spring rate. Measure it and lets go from there...

From the pic I cant even tell they stick out past the fender lips...
I didnt measure before I put the air shocks on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts