Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats the biggest size wheel i can put on my mustang. It has 13's on it right now. Its 4 lug 6 cylinder. I am looking at some 15x7's. Will they work?? If not whats the biggest i can get??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
13's? That's not right....
you can do 15x7 easy enough. You have a 68. bigger wells thatn me, and I'm doing 15x7's at least. So that should be fine. But you do need all the 5 lug stuff, as do i.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nahh the wheels i found are 4 lug. They are really cool american racing wheels. I heard that it would be a whole lot of trouble to convert your car to 5 lug. Is there any truth to that??

·
Registered
182 Posts
To convert to 5-lug, you'll need new front rotors (if you have drums up front, you need to upgrade anyway) & for the rear, you'll need to replace the rear axles & drums. Not too terrible if you know what's up, but it might be a bit of a stretch for a beginner

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
15x7 will fit. You only have to be concerned with the back spacing of the wheels. I think you will need 3.75" back space on your car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
You can give 'em a shot. If they don't work off the bat you can run a 1/4" spacer and you'll be right in the guidelines for a 15x8" wheel which will also work on a narrower 7" wheel too. Ahh the science of wheels!

Best bet is to order one wheel from Summit Racing (free shipping) ... don't mount a tire and just bolt it on the front for a test fit. If it looks good put a tire on that rim and check it again. Once you know it's all good you can get the other 3 without risking the whole budget.

No space will be needed in the rear. Be conservative on tires and stick to 225/60R/15 in the front and the widest they can fit on the rear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 245/45/17 on my 69 and I think they are the same size wheels wells as the 68. However, I was crusing the BAER brakes web site and old Hal has some 18"s on his 69. keep in mind that you have to get the right backspacing for your wheels or a spacer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts