Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there is this car that's seen better days, and I would like to know what you guys think the cars worth as it sits. as you can see the roof has damage, doesn't have the 9" rear, and no engine trans or interior. basically the doors and fenders aren't original to the car. also looks like it needs a new complete floor assembly and front frames. only thing the car in my opinion is its a S-Code

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
IMHO, a couple hundred....maybe? Might get more for scrap value.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yea i agree, i gave it a ball park calculation, and just to get the car rolling with parts (correct engine, 9" rear end and trans along with sheet metal about $12,000)

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
yeah, and conservative and performing the work yourself!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Guessing also NO interior included?
Standard or automatic? A standard (per the vin) worth more done.
No one asked, is it a GT optioned car??

My take just a shell, no interior either. Maybe 10-11K, if a factory GT

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never pulled the marti report, I see the lower strips by the rear quarter panels I think it could be a GT? in the pictures I seen I didn't see a clutch pedal so I assume its an automatic.

sixtysevenGTconv,
in the picture above you believe the car is worth 10-11K as it sits or after all the repairs done you think that's what it would cost?

also lets assume its a GT, what would you pay for it. also keep in mind shipping so add $1500

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I never pulled the marti report, I see the lower strips by the rear quarter panels I think it could be a GT? in the pictures I seen I didn't see a clutch pedal so I assume its an automatic.

sixtysevenGTconv,
in the picture above you believe the car is worth 10-11K as it sits or after all the repairs done you think that's what it would cost?

also lets assume its a GT, what would you pay for it. also keep in mind shipping so add $1500
FYI, maybe it has stripes but would still need to be confirmed to be factory.
I have a friend here on east coast been looking for a '67 390 GT FB for about 4 yrs. I also have a friend that has a few mostly complete but very rough. Between those and SOLD similar cars on Ebay, we figured $15-18k what complete cars worth that NEED resto. Unfortunately my one friend with the cars won't let his go,... yet.

If car you're looking at is a factory S code GT, with both fender apron vin's intact, then I'd think ~ $8-10k is fair. Maybe little lower to $8k because looking at roof and upper rear quarters. Worth the gamble if you can do a lot of the work. Otherwise not a great buy.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong- but are you guys saying this car is worth $8K-$11K AS IT SITS? Are you nucking futs? It's a bare shell, right? No interior, drivetrain, no glass, no good sheet metal other than maybe the firewall as he says it needs all else? I'm up for a challenge, but isn't this one pretty much a cap jack?? Not mentioned, but does it even have a clear title ('cause that's all you're buying pretty much)...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
GT350, correct bare shell it does have a clean tittle and both aprons with VIN in tact. looking at the car I would say every panel would need to be replaced. its hard to see how this would be worth 8k-10K unless it being a 390 GT FB?

Complete floor is rusted out almost like if it was found in a lake bad.... when you see that then you need to assume the firewall is rusted out and front frames. I would say the aprons in the engine bay are decent. that's the only real good metal/

what if its just a 390 and non GT?

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
There is the question of what’s it worth, what is the seller asking, and what is someone willing to pay. I have been looking for over a year now and have seen many in similar condition. Unfortunately worth is determined by mutual agreement between buyer and seller...and there seems to be a number of buyers with more dollars than sense.

The seller will tell you it’s a $70k when restored and $15k for the project is a steal. It’ll only be worth $70k after you put 75k into it, plus the purchase price.

It’s frustrating when you are looking for a solid, honest project car. I have seen cars in not much better shape than that go for 20k...Benza had several of them not long ago...only a few now. If the seller is patient, I bet someone will come along and pay 15k for it😫

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Not seeing all the pictures and what you said....2k max. Its looks like a pieced together junk yard car. The roof damage looks like it was from a fork lift. If you can do sheet metal work and what to spend a long long time fixing the body than ok. Really need a donor car also. I personally would run from this car.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Let's say if the car were completely done now it would be worth something like $60K. Subtract out the cost in parts and labor to bring the car in the pic to completely done and that's what the pile of parts is worth now.

While I know people pay new dynacorn body prices for cars that look like the one posted here, I do not see the value catching up with the cost any time soon.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It looks to me like the back half was burned.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Finding any 67/68 Fastback (let alone an S code) for under $7500 these days isn't easy.
JMHO

·
Registered
567 Posts
Even in that shape I would think you could get at least $5K for it. It is an S-Code Fastback. "Most of the parts" are easily obtainable. I would just make sure ALL the sheet metal and Rear Interior can be found. It's looks like a Great Project for someone that enjoys bringing a Classic Muscle Car back from the dead and has the ability, time, and budget to do it. As long as it wasn't totally rotted out in the under body, I'd love to have a car like that to restore, but again $5K or maybe a little more depending on what it was when actually looked at would be it for me. Most of the things like brakes, steering components, bearing, bushing, trim pieces, etc... your going to buy new anyways on any restoration. If the under body was turning to dust (meaning totally rusted out) however, I would not invest in it for any price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts