Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Did it bow the hood in the middle? I'm definitely no expert at body work, but if it's not bowed, it looks like it might be able to be hammered out, and then maybe use some filler where needed. Maybe? I'm sure others will chime in...Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i thought things were looking hopefull untill i saw pic. #2. if you cannot find a hood no matter what your hood could probably be fixed,but looking at the pic. of your car its so nice,if it was mine i'd be looking for another hood,even though i know it will make the pocket book alot thinner.the hood on a car is the most important panel to have look right,nobody ever looks at a deck lid!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the hood is not bowed at all from my eye.

the only damage is that what you see in the pic, thats it

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If the hood is not bowed anywhere in the middle it is a fixer. A good bodyman can save it, might cost a couple of hundred but it would be worth it. I thought the was you described it earlier it was worse than that...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
it looks like it got dented straight back only about a half inch, the top side got a pretty solid crease where the structural underside of the hood forms its gap. the bottom side is sort of tucked under. A person who knew what they were doing might use heat to soften the metal to make it bend back out. All i'de do if i tried that would be having it not work or a melted hood. The price of a quality body man is probably going to be what it would cost to just buy another hood without a dent.

If i was broke i'de pound it out as best a could, whatever couldn't make perfectly smooth i would hammer it down so i could hide it with bondo, shape it up and paint it.

With a hood like that i'de take a two foot long 2x4. lay it perpendicular to the hood. Hold the one end 2 foot off the hood and smack the other end to bump the curled lip. You can sculpt the 2x4 with a saw to get it into the crease area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts