Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new springs I installed from mustangs plus has a defective front bushing sleeve that allows the spring to move side to side. The stock busing is in a metal sleeve that is glued into the "eye" of the leaf spring. The glue doesnt hold and the sleeve is free to move inside the spring.
They sent me some urethane replacements to fix the problem. Can I replace them without removing the springs from the car?
Thanks...Kevin

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Well you blew my line about the easy way being to buy new springs! ;)

You should be able to drop the front of the spring and use a combination of carriage bolt with flat washers and a large socket to pull it out. Best to use hardened bolts and lots of moly-kote to prevent galling of the threads.

Or you could find the FORD tool...

Frank

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If the old ones pop out the new urathane ones are two piece if thay are like the ones I have. (scott drake).
They just push in with some lube. Should be easy. You could also draw them in with some nuts, washers and threaded rod.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The original bushing should be a press fit,should be a easy fix if yours are moving in the spring eye. Just use a couple of stands under the car & a floor jack under your diff.I would undo your your rear schackles as well or your gunna have a hell of a time lining the front back up to get your bolts in with the schackles still bolted up. The ureathene bushs are a piece of cake to install,just gease & push into eye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts