Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
swmbo and i officially took over the auto repair and towing company today. we'll be moving in to the residence on the property in a week or so. it's in a very rural area where cable internet is not available. until i see how things go, i don't want to pay $100 per month for satellite internet, so i'll be limited to dialup. do the high speed dialup isp's really offer anything resembling high speed? i did a search and it looks like my options are juno, netzero, copper, and cognifast. they're all about $15 per month. does anyone use any of them? what's my best dialup option? thanks.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Your limited by the equipment etc. in your area with dial up. The only difference your buying with any of those are added crap like extra email accounts and chat rooms. Get the cheapest and see if you can atleast get DSL.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Dialup is a crapshoot based on a variety of things.....

The condition of your local lines.....they usually wont work on a line just because it wont get a V.90 connection.

How cheap the company that owns those lines is.......the cheap bastards use "line concentrators" that ram many connections thru a smaller number of lines....forget 56K

And how nearby the ISP you choose has dialup servers.....if youre too far, forget about 56K.

If there is any of these probs, your connection will probably be negotiated at 33.6 (if youre lucky)......

The FCC has failed us repeatedly.....for all intents and purposes, they have given communications industries free run to provide us with service of negligible quality and you dont really get to choose whose lines you get your cable and phone thru.....regardless of who you pay your phone bill to, usually one phone company owns the lines......cable works the same way.

It's a Fu____g monopoly in a country where monopolies are supposedly illegal.

OK...now Ill get off my soapbox, LOL!!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
"high speed dialup" is another way to say, "Waaaaay slower than broadband like DSL or cable."

Analog dialup through a MODEM can go no faster than 56,600 bits per second, regardless of how much you pay for the service.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Before DSL i had dialup from a company called Softcom. I dont know if its avaliable where you are but i would check. They were very fast (for dialup) and very reliable. www.softcom.net is their website i think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is possible to have two dial up modems working together on the same computer at the same time. Most of the big name ISPs support this feature, such as MSN and AOL. The two modems dial in seperately, and then your computer combines the information. The drawbacks are, you have to have two modems, you have to have two phonelines, and some ISPs charge extra do support this. Also, I'm not sure but I think you can only do this on Windows XP. There is literature available to help you with your questions. This seems like the fastest you can get without paying for satellite connections. Just my $.02

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Because of technical standards developed by the FCC and the industry no dial-up connection is going to be "fast". People talk about 56k modems but in reality the upload speed is limited to 33.6k while the download runs at 56k (this is the case of course only if you have "perfect" lines to your new home, otherwise it will go even slower).

Unless you can get an ISP that supports two simultaneous lines you can't get faster than the speeds above with an analoge dial-up line no matter who your ISP is. I use ATT.net for $10.95 a month and get "full" dial-up speed.

Alternatively if you are on a digital concentrator (mentioned by another poster already) where the signal is digital instead of analog (this allows the phone company to use less physical plant because the signals are concentrated into a smaller number of lines) you might be able to find an ISP that offers V91 protocol, and you'll need a different modem. These will run at 64k.

Other than those options, statellite is probably your only alternative if the sub 60k from dial-up is unacceptable to you.

Best of luck.

John Harvey

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,638 Posts
You're in rural Arkansas and you can't get high speed internet access. I live in the middle of freaking Silicon Valley and I can't get either dsl or cable internet as neither the phone company nor the cable company is interested in upgrading their lines to my area. Unless, of course, I'm interested in spending $350 per month for a T1 line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts