Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy question this time. What is the correct length of a center console with air for a 64 1/2 car. I had cut down a full length console to match an old one that was in the car originally, but when I try to put the end cap on, the console seems too long because the end cap doesn't quite fit. It looks like it would fit if the console was slightly shorter.
Does the console almost meet the a/c underdash unit or is there space between them?
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't give you a length measurement but I've had 2 such-equipped
cars and in both cases, I've had about 1/4" between the cap and the a/c unit. (just checked my current '65) Mine was also a non-a/c console originally, now with the upswept portion cut off.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine is out of the car so I went and measured - with the console upside down, measuring from the last crossrib (where the courtest light assembly fastens) up to where it is cut, is 33.75 inches. The cut line is 1/8" forward of a mold parting line, and the cut is at an angle from top to bottom. Mine is a factory-cut console.
When the end cap is installed, it is about 3/16" from the A/C bezel. My car is a 66 and I know the end caps were different for 65 & 66, but the difference should be slight since the consoles were identical for both years.
Hope this helps.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12039610&p=44141294.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Ford instructions show cutting the long console at a piont 1/4" forward from the seam mark on the bottom of the console body. Cut dozens of these over the years. Cut the plastic then the metal

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts