Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW these things fit bad... especially the passengers side. I have an original (far to rusted to save) that i tried on for size, and it fits perfect, so i know that the car is straight, but man... everything on this repop fender is wrong. anyone car to share some tips/tricks for getting these to fit? I've seen them look right before, so i know it can be done...

thanks,
- Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
My repops sucked too. I used the time honored "pound to fit, paint to match" method. Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My experience with the Repro fenders is the cowl/windshield/door interfaces. BFH useage is required to get this 'straightened' out. I have had the repro fenders on the car for over 10 years, now and they are fine...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There are probably a half-dozen manufacturers making early Mustang fenders. Some are pretty good, but most are pretty bad. My right fender fit fine, with virtually NO bodywork necessary. My left fender, on the other hand required more than 10 hours of bodywork to get it to line up. The gap between the trailing edge of the fender and the leading edge of the door on that side was terrible. My bodyman was baffled, since the other side went right on. He messed with it and messed with it, even putting a new skin on the door, without any luck.

Finally, it occurred to him that the fender might be grossly mis-stamped, so he took a few measurements and found out that the trailing edge of the fender was off about 1/4" between the top and the bottom. He's put plenty of fenders on old cars over the years and never seen one with just one grossly-bad dimension like this. Usually, if they are bad in one dimension, they are bad in others, too.

Since the rest of the fender fit perfectly,he was reluctant to swap it for another repro that might be even worse. He welded on more metal on the trailing edge and then ground it down 'til it lined up perfectly with the front edge of the door from top to bottom. You'd never know the fender had major surgery, but there is a lesson here:
If your factory fenders are in reasonably good shape (I.E., just typical rust hole at the bottom), repair and recycle them.

Nothing fits better than a 35-year old piece of Ford sheetmetal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wish you would Name the company that put out that poor front fender repro- panel so that the rest of us will not get the shaft.buying from them. PS I was at CJ Ponys in Harrisburg PA on Saturday on my way to Carlsile Pa Summer Show. Creed and the crew were doing really good business and the store still had customers in it 15 minutes after they offically closed for the day at 3pm Sat. :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought them from matt at ponderosa... was told that they were the "improved design" type that npd sells... don't know if that was true or not. I also had alot less problems with the passengers fender than i am with the drivers fender. I got the pass fender to fit, and it looks pretty good. the drivers fender is way off. its like the wheel well was spread apart at the bottom, and when i try to put it where it is supposed to be, it just buckels out at the very top of the arch... ugh. don't buy reproduction fenders

- Jason

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think Johnpro's secret would be to put a pice of wire behidn the fender while SacBill flips us all off, then they get L20068 wasted.

but that's just my interpretation

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought both mine from NPD (new design) and had the same problem. Passenger side fit almost fine, drivers side took some work.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The patented johnpro secret for aligning fenders is to NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER buy reproduction sheet metal. Find good originals and use them. I have repros on my '66 coupe. I fought with them for 2 days to get them to fit like they do today ... like crap.

With enough work, repro valences can be made to work, and stone guards, but not fenders.

I have a set of originals in my garage that will eventually get put onto my '66 when I run out of other projects (which will be 10 years after I die at my current pace).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got my RH repro fender and full quarter panel from California Mustang yesterday. They were less than half the price of any other vendor ('67 fender $139, and '68 full quarter $159), so I was expecting the worst.

I bolted the fender on, then did a test fit of the quarter panel, and it appears that after a slight adjustment of the door, they will fit surprisingly well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts