Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are aftermarket mirrors on my '69. If I insert the remote into the door bezel as designed the cables get smashed against the door panel. I can make it work, but it doesn't seem correct and its a tight fit. It seems like the cables should go away from the door panel, but the notched on the bezel don't allow it. Do I have the wrong mirror?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. So much for ordering "69" mirrors like they were described. Well, they've been painted so I'll just have to shove it in there. I can make it fit, just not an ideal situation.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, my 69 has the cables going straight out of the back of the remote, they arent bent 90deg like that.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sad thing I ordered these from one of the well know mustang suppliers. I hope they can help solve the problem. These mirrors are already painted and mounted.

Will proper '69 mirrors fit the same base and holes as the '70 mirrors? Or is it possible to simply change out the cable hardware? It would be easier for me in the long run to buy a nasty mirror with cables and just swap.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Will proper '69 mirrors fit the same base and holes as the '70 mirrors? Or is it possible to simply change out the cable hardware? It would be easier for me in the long run to buy a nasty mirror with cables and just swap.

69/70 Mustang sport mirrors are identically except for the way the cables exit the control knob. Both 69 and 70 style mirrors are reproduced. You can get a new 69 reproduction mirror and take the cable and switch it to your housing.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, good. I didn't want to have to repaint stuff. How in the heck do you change the cable? I looked at the mirror but can't figure out how to get it out.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question. If early '69s came with the straight cable end and then it changed later and for the '70s, how did the later '69s get the 90 bend to fit properly in the bezel? Or did they not use the rectangular bezel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts