Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in search of a loop hole or a way around paying the fines and penalties that I aquired when I purchased my motorcycle. It seems that the previous owner had not registered the motorcycle since 97, and he didn't non-op it either. So when I became the proud new owner of this Yamaha, I also became the proud new owner of $300 worth of DMV penalties and fees!

I had talked with a family friend about my dilemma, and he emailed me back after talking with a friend of his and told me about Title Services. What these people do is they take your vehicle, title it in another state, then title it back in your state to erase all the fines and penalties. They obviously charge a fee for this, but it is half of what I would be paying if I were to submit to the CA DMV.

So, has anybody ever used this service? Any complaints or things to watch out for? I think this is the way out of paying the outrageous fees that were dropped on my lap by the DMV. Man, the DMV really angers me. Acutally, they really made me mad today especially. I called them up asking if I could get a temporary registration/permit to use the motorcycle on the street so that I could get an "estimate" on how much it would cost to fix up before I paid all the reg fees. A reasonable request, but apperently you can't get temporary tags for motorcycles, only for cars! Temporary tags are only given out for smog related problems with automobiles, not motorcycles since they aren't smogged. Arg....

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well Dave,

You also have to consider the costs of registering the bike in Nevada as an example.....as well as the costs incurred from using that service...

DMV is like a mini IRS collection wing...heck I didn;t register my Z for
5 months after the reg expired and they threatened to take my ride...

they want what they think is their money...

remember, it isn't the DMW making the rules...it is our smarter than average legislators who run the show and represent us as best they can and we all know how well they tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't see how you can be held responsible for penalities due to the fact that another person didn't register the motorcycle properly. Seems out of line to me, but then again it is CA. Ya'll do things a little different over there ;)

Maybe Aw-nuld the Govinator will get things straightened out?

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Is the title dated on the back?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Dave:
As you have found out, the registration fees apply to the vehicle rather than the (previous lazy) owner. As for "Temporary" tags, the red temporary operating permit is given when fees are fully paid but some other paperwork issues remain. A one trip permit (for smog inspections, etc) is available but not really useful in your situation.
It used to be that after 3-4 years of non-registration, the DMV purged its records of the vehicle and a subsequent attempt to register the vehicle would be handled as an original application for plates, title etc. Likewise a vehicle titled/registered out of state and then brought to CA was considered a "non-resident" application and handled much like an original application.
Can you get a bill of sale from the prior owner? If so, using that instead of the old CA pink slip might help.
How much info does DMV have on your bike as a result of your inquiry? If all they have to go on is the old CA pink slip in your hands I think you are in better shape as you are in control of the information they have access to.
Those title services may be able to help but be careful of the cost. Keep us posted.

Good Luck

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts