Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious about this engine I know the hp is somewhere around 320, and yet it isnt all that popular with mustabg owners. Some perfer the 351 Why? I have read a post about how the 390 would lose against a 289 hp, and how it was a lousy big block for the mustang. Can it not be modified for better performance? Whats up with this engine?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 390 other than it does not have the big cube numbers of the 428 and 427. I have a friend that runs in the high 11s with a 67 mustang and a 390. His bottom end is stock and only real mods to the engine are a different cam and 2x4 intake. Not bad for a junk 390. I think most guys go for the 351 because more parts are available and less weight.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
the 390 got a bad rep when it came out because in 1967 (for the Mustang), because Ch*vy had come out with the 396, and Fords response was.....disappointing. The 390GT could not hope to keep up with a 396. This was a factor in Tasca coming up with the 428 idea that essentially saved Ford's bacon, esp on the street.

That said, the 390 is not an inherently poor motor, it need better heads and a good cam to run well. There are plenty of strong-running 390s around, they stroke well, and the are CHEEEEEEEEp compared to 428s. 390 blocks are like lint.
They make a fine cheap buildup if you are going the FE route anyway.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've got one in my '67 S code coupe and it moves out real well. With a 3.25 posi rear, it gets rubber through most of first and part of second - not just a chirp, tire spining rubber! So, I like them. Now, will it be first at the track? I don't know and don't care. Is is a street car and is a blast to drive, that's all I care about!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why didn't ford introduce the 390 with 400 hp like that one year with the t-bird. I bet if Ford had it would more then keep up with the 396.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Break my heart!

Actually I don't and wouldn't use this car for anything more than occasional drives and such. But I truly am impressed with the performance of my 325 HP 390 GT engine with the 3.25 gears. I'd never dream of replacing it with anything different. I'ts a great package.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
alot of the bad rap it got was bc is made for a real corner plunger due to the weight...but, if youve got a big block under the hood, dont you usually more enjoy going fast in a straight line ?i wouldnt mind having a built 390 bc of all that torque !

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
LMAN got the story right.
NO 390 ever bested my Shelby (289 HiPo), back in the day. Now that they figured out how to gettem' horsed up, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How about 338 hp and 407 lb/ft of Torque.. ALL at 4600RPM and below

69 Grande w/390 just off the dyno

Was expecting more HP, but love the torque numbers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts