Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try as I might I can't get the speedometer cable nut on the housing and then tilting the dash bezel in. Any tricks?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
On my '66, the bezel has to be installed before attaching the speedometer cable. There is enough room on the right side of the column to reach up and make the connection. You have to do it by feel. I believe you may have to approach it the same way, even though you have a different cluster.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
210 Posts
Or, disconnect the cable from the gearbox, pull as much cable as you need to meet the bezel, fit the dash and then re connect to gearbox.
Believe it or not, trying to get your hand in there is the quickest way. Painful but doable.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the inner cable is not pushed all the way in, the nut will not start on the back of the speedo. I have fought that battle before. You may have to twist the inner cable so that it engages the speedo gear at the trans. I always push the speedo cable into the firewall too to give me the most room to work behind the cluster. Be sure to pull the cable back out at the firewall after the cluster is re-installed or else the speedo cable will interfere with the wiper linkage.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I had to do this a couple times way back when, but I can't remember how or why, but I'm thinking I connected it to the dash first, screwed it back in, and then did the other end.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Put Speedometer Cable in Rear hole on the back of the cluster, Tighten outer hex nut on cable in clockwise fashion onto back of cluster. The Cluster gets installed first before the cable..as the cable is not long enough (You think Ford could have figured this out, but no).

No brain surgery involved....although, You may have to be on your back with the Driver's seat all the way back and be a bit of a contortionist to get the job done.

Oh Yeah, One more thing, Hope that you are not Left Handed...lol.. and if you're 6 Foot and 250lbs.. Good Luck....You'll need it.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before I switched to a Dakota Digital setup I would remove the under-dash light and reach up to disconnect it. Never thought to remove from trans first, but that would have made it a ton easier in retrospect.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Guys, there is plenty of room to reach the back of the instrument cluster with it pulled out if you push the speedo cable through the firewall first from the outside. No need to disconnect it at the trans.

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
I've done hundreds of these. I lay a towel on the column to prevent scratches, remove the bezel screws, pull the RH end of the cluster away from the dash, and loosen the cable with my right hand. Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done hundreds of these. I lay a towel on the column to prevent scratches, remove the bezel screws, pull the RH end of the cluster away from the dash, and loosen the cable with my right hand. Installation is the reverse.
Do you reach around to the back of the bezel to loosen/tighten or go under the full dash to access it?

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
Do you reach around to the back of the bezel to loosen/tighten or go under the full dash to access it?
Reach around the RH end of the cluster. Reaching up from underneath is about the same as ritual sacrifice. Blood will be shed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts