Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 coupe, right above the firewall where the shock tower braces or the export brace goes, there is a hole exactly in the middle of and above the four holes for the brace. If I were to put one of the export brace braces there, it would cover the hole. There is a factory rubber plug in it. It is not for the windshield wiper motor wiring, that hole is way over towards the drivers fender.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Any of your cars have AC???

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the same on my '69.

After hours of research on the internet, my local library, and various car shows, I got the answer. These are the hi-po lightening holes, only available on '69 Mustangs with the SportsRoof body options. The theory is that by replacing 3 oz. of steel with 2.9 oz. of rubber, located in a magical place on the firewall, an additional 15 h.p. was freed up for exiting left-hand corners. Does not affect right-hand cornering ;)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any of your cars have AC???
Mine does, or at least did have. All that's left under the hood from it is the 2 hoses and the plumbing on the right side of the firewall.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe it's for the wires that connect to the scoop signal indicators? Although my wiring for those come out from the main wire harness on the passenger side, but looking at it closely it seems like that may be the wrong setup.

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
Say, you haven't been hanging around Pegram, have you? Or is it just very common for Texans to be a little warped? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts