Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to clean up my trunk last night and have a few questions.

Firstly - any idea what this black stuff is thats on the inside of the rear quarter panel?

Secondly - the rust doesn't seem too bad behind the wheel wells - is this a job to just clean up with a wire brush and then re-coat?

And lastly - there is a lot of this seal stuff between the joints - was that as it originally came from the factory? Can I scrape it all off and repair that?

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Inside the quarter panels is sound deadening (undercoating). Seam sealer is factory applied and can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
I started to clean up my trunk last night and have a few questions.

Firstly - Any idea what this black stuff is that's on the inside of the rear quarter panel?
Secondly - The rust doesn't seem too bad behind the wheel wells - is this a job to just clean up with a wire brush and then re-coat?
And lastly - There is a lot of this seal stuff between the joints - was that as it originally came from the factory? Can I scrape it all off and repair that?
1)The original factory sound deadening is that textured area under the paint. Someone spray bombed something over it along the way, maybe paint or some spray coating to fill/cover scratches that occurred. 2)You need to clean out as much of that rust in the wheel well as possible to make an assessment of the extent of the corrosion. Then we'll see what would be advised to deal with it. 3)The factory applied seam sealer can be removed, the seams cleaned, and the sealer replaced. There are different sealers available for that these days, ask for recommendations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I’m surprised how much joint seal there is and how sloppy it looks. But looking through YouTube and articles seems that’s the way it was done :)

My first thought was, man someone has done a terrible body putty job here. ?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
To see how bad the rust is take the paint off in the area at least a few inches from where you stop seeing rust.

Determine if it’s rusted through or about to. Poke a screw driver, awl, pick what have you around the most rusted area. If it pokes through it’s trouble. If not good news.

You shouldn’t leave the rust or metal exposed. There are plenty of ways to stop and/or mitigate the rust if it’s not rotted through. Once you know if it’s rotted or not we can advise the next step.

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seam sealer comes off fairly easily and the rust is superficial.

Any idea how one would clean the seam sealer out of the seams. I've jumped in there with a wire brush which works to some degree.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why did they use so much seam sealer in the trunk. Smeared pretty wide across joints rather than a neat run up against the seam.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They did it like that everywhere. You'll see the same thing under the rear seat and the carpet.

They really wanted those seams sealed well apparently.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Why did they use so much seam sealer in the trunk. Smeared pretty wide across joints rather than a neat run up against the seam.
It wasn't just the trunk, you'd find the same application of the stuff everywhere it was called for. It was applied by a handheld gun on a hose on a mass production fast moving assembly line. That was how they rolled the dough back then. In the Weld & Sealant manuals everything is "a minimum of" or "not less than", so they would squirt the goop in excess. Some applications specified hand brushing for uniform smoothing of the material. Imagine that mess. Oh, wait, you don't have to. :D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Why did they use so much seam sealer in the trunk.
Umm...it was built in the mid 60's. Have you seen any 60's assembly line videos? Nothing like today.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Umm...it was built in the mid 60's. Have you seen any 60's assembly line videos? Nothing like today.

Exactly. It was a bunch of guys throwing stuff at the assembly line and amazingly every so often a running and driving car came off the end.. Also don't forget what the Mustang was in the beginning. It was designed to be a cheap car (econobox of the time) and they had to cut allot of corners in all areas to be able to sell it at the price the customer wanted and for the company to make a profit.
My grandfather worked for Chrysler at the stamping plant which the building was so dirty you couldn't see the other end of the building.. He transitioned to the power plant towards the end of his time there. Took a big pay cut as he had to give the union 40% of his pay but he was able to still work and working the power plant was essential so he wasn't included in strikes hence why they took that chunk of his pay. Things were really screwey back in the 40s to 60s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome info. Thank you all. I worked at the BMW plant in South Africa from 2000 to 2004. I imagine it was a very different set up! ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts