Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Normally the washer is attached to the rod, otherwise you are correct. Be sure to adjust the length correctly per the shop manual and put the spacer and filter In place before attaching your MC

Reactions: CHOCK and 7T02S

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normally the washer is attached to the rod, otherwise you are correct. Be sure to adjust the length correctly per the shop manual and put the spacer and filter In place before attaching your MC
Ok, that makes sense. The washer is bigger than the opening through the rubber, so I didn't want to pull it out at the risk of damaging the rubber. I see the rod is adjustable, so I'll look in the manual on that procedure. Thanks!

You mention a filter, is that what this plastic piece and channels inside the aluminum spacer are for?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Thanks Chock!

PS
Please pay attention to Flades note. Adjusting front push rod needed, common failure, and the reason cone washer came off the push rod is the clip to retain that washer has came off. The washer should retain itself on push rod.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS
Please pay attention to Flades note. Adjusting front push rod needed, common failure, and the reason cone washer came off the push rod is the clip to retain that washer has came off. The washer should retain itself on push rod.
Good to know!

Ok, so I dug the washer out. There's a long distance from where the washer sits to the only groove on the rod. Is there a spacer between the washer and clip?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
No spacer.
Look at the very end of the push rod. See that groove at the end. There should be a plastic clip there. That keeps the cup from falling off.
Now will it work without that clip. Yes indeed as long as you get the end of push rod inserted in the diaphragm.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Here‘s a good diagram to make an adjusting gauge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.