Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a master cylinder lately? Instead of the usual plastic bleeder plugs with hose to route to the master cylinder bowls, my master cylinder came with these plugs with a stepped thread design. Seems like, for instance, the first portion of thread is 3/8" and then steps up to a 1/2" diameter. Not sure what the exact size is for my M/C, but you get the idea. It doesn't use a return hose or anything, just a plug. The instructions that came with it say they are a "new and improved way of bench bleeding". I just don't see how these darn things work. How is the air supposed to escape? I'm planning on buying a short section of steel line and bending it, but thought i would ask others that have seen these before if they know how they work.

G

·
Yes I have seen these and used these before. Basically by plugging the ports it forces the air up through the orifiace's in the bore. You should be able to look into the cylinder while "pumping" and see the air escaping. If that doesnt seem like your cup of tea go to your local parts store and buy the 5 dollar bleeder kit. HTH

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does NAPA have a normal bleeder kit? I went to both Advance Auto and Autozone and they took me to the brake bleeder kit. No threaded fittings, so a brake bleeder kit is worthless IMO.

Thanks for the insight Pat. I wasn't aware that the master cylinder allows air to go in the reverse direction of the fluid force.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Yes, I just went through this about a month ago. It worked, but it did take a bit longer than the traditional bench bleeding method with return hoses. This one was a new, made in China, master cylinder from NAPA. I didn't notice "made in China" until I got it home, and it was a special order item, so I just used it. I wonder if the U.S. rebuilt units come with the same system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, the mc on my coupe came with those. The bubbles just came up into the reservoirs as I pumped. Seemed to work ok.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been hesitant to even use my brakes with the cover off. Last time i tried that the pedal stuck to the floor and when i pulled up on the pedal it shot brake fluid straight up and made a complete mess of my engine bay. I learned a few new cuss words that day :lol:

Thanks for the part number Pat. I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine came that way too. I just bench bled it a few days ago, I had to stop after a while because the front plug started leaking. I hope I got it bled enough.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I've never bench bled an MC. At least not the normal way. Once it is installed the first thing I do is loosen one of the brake lines at the MC and have someone push down the brake pedal. I then tighten the connection and they release the pedal. Do this until brake fluid leaks out from the connection and then do the other one.

I wrap a rag around the brake line to catch the leaking brake fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts