Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to disassemble my rotten 6 cyl coupe. I have most of the floor and firewall/side cowl cut out. Next will be the cowl when I can afford to buy the metal. Looks like the pax rear frame rail needs replacing too..

Guess I'm buying a mig welder and metal after my divorce is finalized.. anyways..

I'm taking all the suspension off in preparation for a body cart. What off a 6cyl is saveable up front? The lower control arms look new, but the rubber is shot, they were probably stuck on the car 15 years ago... Are the uppers the same as the v8's? Are the strut rods? I know the spindles and all the brake stuff is garbage. Springs and front shocks were trashed. Anything from the rear end? Does anyone want a 6cyl 3.00 rear? Leafs are shot. Shocks too.. Car did not have motor or trans.

I basically bought a clean title, with a full new interior in a box. Which I've sold and recouped the cost of the entry.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I bought my 66 for dirt cheap because it came with boxes/buckets of parts. Plus it is a 6cyl and 4spd manual. It's listed in the "Build" forum under "66 bucket coupe".

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Rowdy, what are your plans for the car? Are you converting it to a V8? Are you going with disc brakes up front? Yes, uppers and lowers are the same on the I6 and V8 other than the steering stops on the lower a-arms (which is a simple remove and replace as needed. If you are going V8, the steering linkage system is also different. Strut rods are the same also (I6 & V8), and can be reused by replacing the rubber bushings with Moog parts. You are correct with the front springs, spindles, brakes, rear leaf and rear end.....if you are going V8, all this needs to be replaced anyway. One bit of advice, since the engine bay is clean (no engine) PERFECT time in my opinion, to pull the steering box and have it rebuilt if needed. With the I6 in the engine, it is not a big job to do, but with a V8 in the car, hear that it is a bear to remove.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a '65! I've already pulled the steering box, it's the slow box, but I've also got the stock rebuilt 16:1 out of my other car. I knew the steering linkages were useless for the V8 swap as well.

I've got brand new pinned motor mounts and the brackets for '65 small block from the other car (it went T5 with RM mounts)

It'll eventually get Discs, a small block a c4 or AOD,the 8in out of my other car when it goes to the 9 and SoT rear suspension. It's a slow process. I'm not even done cutting all the rot out of it.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
It's a slow process. I'm not even done cutting all the rot out of it.
This is a common mistake. Cutting all the rust out weakens the car even more, making dimensional stability a real problem. You should start by removing only the worst rotted part, and installing new steel. Then replace the next-to-worst part, and so on.

The best example of that was this 68 GT350. From the firewall forward, it was badly rotted. Both frame rail/shock tower assemblies were replaced, and the radiator support with crossmember was replaced, but the suspension strut rod brackets (angles) were never off the car. They replaced the RH assembly, then the rad support, then the LH assembly. Never had to sweat the dimensions.

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
To answer your original question let me address it from a different perspective... "What can't I re-use in a I6 to V8 conversion on a '65 Mustang?".

1. Engine (obviously).
2. Engine compartment wiring harnesses (gauge feed, headlight, etc.).
3. Engine mounts (frame and insulator).
4. Radiator.
5. Spindles.
6. Strut rods.
7. Steering linkage (entire).
8. Manual transmission (C4 Automatic can be re-used after "V8 Rebuild").
9. Rear Axle assembly (drum to drum).
10. Springs.
11. Accelerator linkage.
12. Clutch linkage (equalizer bar, etc.)
13. Tank to engine fuel line.
14. Driveshaft.

I think that about covers it. 22GT may think of something I forgot.

·
Registered
757 Posts
According to Martha Stewart, a welder combined with a (relatively) worthless array of old 6-cylinder parts makes for lots of manly Garage Art projects. The engine block can be used to hold cordless drills, the crankshaft makes a "rustic country" mailbox post, the camshaft welded to and old brake drum is a good towl-holder, and those old front spindles are great for cleaning eye glasses. Hand-made forged knives made from old springs are great gift ideas for the kids around Christm...whoops, I mean The Holidays. The rear differential gear oil is full of minerals and anti-aging compounds, making it an ideal skin moisurizer. Oh, the list goes on an on!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a common mistake. Cutting all the rust out weakens the car even more, making dimensional stability a real problem. You should start by removing only the worst rotted part, and installing new steel. Then replace the next-to-worst part, and so on.

The best example of that was this 68 GT350. From the firewall forward, it was badly rotted. Both frame rail/shock tower assemblies were replaced, and the radiator support with crossmember was replaced, but the suspension strut rod brackets (angles) were never off the car. They replaced the RH assembly, then the rad support, then the LH assembly. Never had to sweat the dimensions.

I've basically only taken out the floorpan and the fender aprons. The one piece floor pan will go back in (with convertible inner rockers, one piece seat pan and torque boxes) Before I start on anything else. I was more or less saying that I've got a long ways to go before it starts to get all the mechanical bits! Making sure I don't throw away anything I may be able to use in the future :)

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
Strut rods are the same, steering stops on the strut rods are different.

Before you trash it all, I would be interested in a few parts if they are very cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts