Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the '74 Maveric master cylinder so highly touted in the granada disc swaps, and my brake pedal is way up off the floor. My clutch pedal is a little low, but the brake pedal is way higher than it was with the original m/c installed. Anyone else have this prob? If I need to reuse the old pushrod, how do I change it?

I see that the mav m/c has a 15/16" bore as opposed to the 1" bore of the original, so, while there should be less pedal effort, there will be increased travel, but that much? I just can't see having to lift my foot off the floor in a panic stop (hope not, but it happens). What do I do?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
you need to use the old pushrod, I had to clamp the end of the rod in a vise and hit the master cyliner with a rubber mallet to get it out, took a few good raps. The rods have a spring clip on the end that secures them in the bore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I had the hardest time getting the mav pushrod in, too. The clip kept getting hung up in the aluminum bore and gauging the metal.

Does anyone know why the '74 mav m/c is preferred over stock?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Another way, if the MC is removed: put the rod in a vise with MC sticking straight up. Use two flat screwdrivers to pry up on the MC from two sides. Will need to wiggle it a bit with both screwdrivers, but it should come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts