Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
looks to me like you have the wrong ujoints in there or it's in backwards. did you check the ujoint to see if it was the same size on both sides? in otherwords, measure the ujoint from end to end across both sides of the joint and see if it's the same distance. Someone else will chime in here with some more ideas as well, but that's what it looks like to me.

just my $.02

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
What size rear end did you put in?
My guess....that rear end is from a big block, while the driveshaft is from a small block.

Or...you have the wrong size u-joints.
It looks like you need one of these "adapter" u-joints....
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
The experts will let us know.
Ditto. Some pinion "snouts" took 1310 u-joints and some took 1330 (usually on the big blocks). Get the adapter joint - Ford motorsport sells one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had a spooled 9" rear end in it. The previous owner did some bracket racing with it. I wanted to bring the car back to a driveable street car. I have a Ford 9" rear end with 3.0 gears in it now. Thanks for the input !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You guys were right. The new rear end is a big block and my old one was a small block. My choice was to either pull the yolk and exchange it or for $28.00 have a new u-joint put in and mount it right up. Since everything else was new I went with changing to a larger u-joint and just bolting it right up. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
583 Posts
they look good man it looks like they are in their correctly they have tabs in their to keep them from sliding back and forward. which would cause one side to fall off then breaking of u joints but they look like they are installed correctly. looks like they are possibly the wrong length of cups, you can replace them or not. just make sure that you tighten up the u bolts and put some grease into them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts