Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car was at a cruise tonight. I guess if a Bow Tie wants to go fast heres the answer ::
http://www.65yellowmustang.com/429chevy.jpg
Badges on the side said 429

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Man I thought I was dreaming. To tell you the truth, to do that 56 Bel Air is just wrong. Any other car than that one.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You noticed those Dagmars didn't you.. ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah, the 57 had the dual missile bumper, thats a 57. And that engine is a Ford windsor 5.0/5.8 based engine with what looks like a Kenney Bell Supercharger.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Eh, serves 'em right...there are pleanty of vintage Ford street rods out there with Chev power plants in them for no good reason. ::

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Good, I hope that starts a trend.
The day after I cash my first Lotto check, I'm buying a Corvette to do that to.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Eh, serves 'em right...there are pleanty of vintage Ford street rods out there with Chev power plants in them for no good reason.
Does anyone remeber that 1965 or 1966 fastback with black exterior and gold stripes and a red interior...with a big block Chevy engine in it? The shock towers were completely removed. :(

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Good, I hope that starts a trend.
The day after I cash my first Lotto check, I'm buying a Corvette to do that to.
I used to have a vette and I disliked that 350 so much I dreamt of putting a cleveland in it (IMO the best looking engine ever made ::), then I realized I couldn't shame that engine by making it wear a bowtie ::

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I was just talking to a coworker the other day about getting his 56 chevy and putting a "nice FORD engine" in it. Paybacks are a B!tch, hope this starts a trend too.

John

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Haha, yup, I'm doing that to my Mopar 65 Barracuda. Have the 318 in her, but swapped in a Frod 9in and Ford T-5 tranny. If the engine ever fails on my, I'll drop a Ford motor in her.

·
Registered
846 Posts
"That looks like a late model Ford engine. I could be way off on that assumption though."

Your right, the easy way to tell is Fords have the dizzy in the front of the engine...Chitrolet and dodge are in the rear. ::

·
Registered
286 Posts
A Ford powerplant in a Bowtie is not an unusual sight in these parts. A local body shop owner in town has a 69 Camaro Z28 with a 72 Cleveland CJ motor in it. It is a beautiful car and was done very well.
Best of all, It makes the Chevy guys at the car shows just steam in anger.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
There seems to be a lack of air to properly supply the intake
Not necessarily true. IIRC, the area just above the headlight on each side of a '57 has a grille opening. That as a given, the owner is probably tapping into air that's flowing through the fender area anyhow.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Now we know how to make a bowtie go fast! I do like the Kenne Bell supercharger! I guess this is payback for all those Cobra Kit cars running chevy motors! ::

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been a street rodder almost as long as I've been a Mustanger. My 32 Roadster, currently tore down and being rebuilt has always had Ford power (460).

Anyway, back in the 80s I had a chance to buy an all original 1930 Chevrolet 2-door out of a great uncle's estate auction. It went for only $2800. I came so close to bidding! My thoughts of creating a "Revenge Rod" with a Ford engine still puts a smile on my face today.

Shouldn't have let that one get away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts