Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tracked down a problem I have on my old car ( this is not the mustang) rear tail lights work bit the LR trun signal does not. Has the correct 1157 bulb. Pulling the bulb and using a test light on the contact it gets its power fine and the test light blinks as the bulb should but i have tried several new 1157 bulbs and none will work. I assume something wrong with the socket? I would say the ground is fine since the tail lights work. Any advice or a fix????

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
There's a few things that it can be. The spring could be broken, one of contacts could be recessed, disk indexing could be off, possible broken connection in wire right behind terminal, Hard corrosion. I would still stab your test light on the bulbs base with park and turn on and see what you get.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Tracked down a problem I have on my old car ( this is not the mustang) rear tail lights work bit the LR trun signal does not. Has the correct 1157 bulb. Pulling the bulb and using a test light on the contact it gets its power fine and the test light blinks as the bulb should but i have tried several new 1157 bulbs and none will work. I assume something wrong with the socket? I would say the ground is fine since the tail lights work. Any advice or a fix????
Does the LR BRAKE LIGHT work?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
There's a few things that it can be. The spring could be broken, one of contacts could be recessed, disk indexing could be off, possible broken connection in wire right behind terminal, Hard corrosion. I would still stab your test light on the bulbs base with park and turn on and see what you get.
It can't be a broken wire behind the terminal if he gets voltage on the contact. All else is definitely in play. The indexing is a great suggestion!

Allen

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've had scenarios where the bulb was not aligned (indexed) with the contacts. The side pins didn't properly line up with the contacts between the bulb and socket when the bulb was locked and seated. If the bulb is good, and you have 12v at the socket, replace the bulb.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Start easy and go deep.

Does the bulb, by itself work? If yes, step 2

With the bulb out, is there power at the socket? If yes, then it is index, maybe corrosion, ground, etc.

If no, go upstream and find out where the power drops off. Is it right at the socket, in the tail light harness, etc. Is it just the turn signal or also the running lights?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts