Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install Maier Racing's Ol'Blue kit with 2.5" fender flares on my 1965 coupe and I am having a hard time deciding on wheel size. I was really liking these for the rear American Racing 51081012400: VN510 Draft Series Vintage Silver Wheel 18" x 10" | JEGS and doing these up front American Racing 51088012400: VN510 Draft Series Vintage Silver Wheel 18" x 8" | JEGS. The question I have is I want to run 18x10s with a 305 in the rear and 18x8s with a 285 in the front but Im having a hard time determining if 5.5" of back spacing will work? Car will be lowered roughly 2" from stock using Ride Tech's coil over system with their 4-link rear.

·
Registered
708 Posts
About to install Maier Racing's Ol'Blue kit with 2.5" fender flares on my 1965 coupe and I am having a hard time deciding on wheel size. I was really liking these for the rear American Racing 51081012400: VN510 Draft Series Vintage Silver Wheel 18" x 10" | JEGS and doing these up front American Racing 51088012400: VN510 Draft Series Vintage Silver Wheel 18" x 8" | JEGS. The question I have is I want to run 18x10s with a 305 in the rear and 18x8s with a 285 in the front but Im having a hard time determining if 5.5" of back spacing will work? Car will be lowered roughly 2" from stock using Ride Tech's coil over system with their 4-link rear.

On a car with stock fenders, an 8” wide wheel (like a 17x8.. i think anything smaller in diameter hits the upper ball joint) would fit ideally with 4.75” of BS on all 4 corners. A ‘65 isn’t blessed with a ton of space in the wheelwell, so I believe that represents the max you could go.

With that being said, and given that you’re installing 2.5” flares, a 5.5” BS on a 8” wide wheel would have the wheel sitting inboard about ~3.25” from your new fenders. I’d probably look at wheels that have about 2” less BS for the front, and about 1” less in the rear.

As a side note, 285 tires in the front on a 8” rim is pretty ambitious. I’d guess 255 is probably as wide as you can go and not have the wheel be super tall. But with all the new found room in the front, why not get a 9” wide wheel?

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose you're right I probably could fit a 18x9 up front. I think at this point it would be easiest to buy the tire and figure out what rim I need to fit it with the new flares. I'm fairly confident a 18x10 will fit the rear with the new flares but the question is back spacing to take advantage of the new found room in those wheel wells.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I suppose you're right I probably could fit a 18x9 up front. I think at this point it would be easiest to buy the tire and figure out what rim I need to fit it with the new flares. I'm fairly confident a 18x10 will fit the rear with the new flares but the question is back spacing to take advantage of the new found room in those wheel wells.
Tires, and renting a tool that helps to determine wheel spec Taylor Cable WheelRite Wheel and Tire Fitment Tools 01201

Honestly, the 18x10 should fit. If an 8” wheel fits in a stock wheelwell, why wouldn’t a 10” wheel fit with 2.5” flares?

My guess is 4.75 to 5” of BS would work on a 10” wheel and 2.5” flares.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
The flares won't change the back-space requirements on the front, there's no way 5.5" BS will fit unless you use a drop spindle and try and tuck the UBJ inside the wheel barrel.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Then you might be in luck, but some modifications to the ball joint cup (stock arms) and other possible clearance issues while will need to be addressed. Google for Mike Maier's build discussion on the subject, there was a post that went into details to make it work. He did it on one iteration of Ol'Blue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I will be reaching out to Mike and see what he says...I have the flares installed on my 66

1 - 8 of 8 Posts