Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal on balancing Styled Steel wheels by the lug holes? I have a set of 15x7's that I am going to put on my 66 with 205/60/15's. Why do they have to be balanced by the lug holes and not the center hole like a normal rim? I remember this came up a while back, but I can't find it on a search.
What harm is caused by balancing by the center hole?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Chris

66 289/C Code/Automatic
Springtime Yellow

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
This was covered in MI / MM / or M&F over the last few months. They determined that mustang SSWs are to be lug-balanced, as opposed to hub balanced. I don't recall why, but was thinking of starting to make some calls to see what local shops had the correct equipment to do so. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
I have about five years in the tire business....
The reason why is because the center hole is not perfectly round on the raised center steel wheels, like Crager SS wheels. Think about it...the center is not bolted to your car the lugs are, therefor you get a much better balance from the lug holes This is the perfered way of balancing.

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
The lug locations are not machined in reference to the center hub. The lugs are located in reference to the outer rim. Therefore the center hub is not necessarily in the center of the lugs. I just bought a set and had them balanced on the car.
They balanced the tires on the rims first to get the best balance. They actually rotated one of the tires on the rim to improve the balance. They mounted the two best tires on the front and spun balanced all 4 on the car. I was amazed. It's the smoothest ride I've ever had. At 90 still smooth as glass.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

G

·
0 Posts
my repro magnums I just got from Specialty wheels in Utah are 16X8 and they say on the box to balance
by the lug holes... I hadnt heard of this before now... glad You guys pay more attention than I do...
Guess now I gotta call around looking for somebody who can do this...

64.5 convertible (restomod in progress)
sold the COBRA for family sedan (new addition)

I dont need my wifes permission....
I'm not above begging forgiveness!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Had my steels balanced by the center hole , just moved the vibration to a different speed .
The cat still shakes like those razor blades just keep on coming !!!!!!
A mates go a tyre (tire) shop , he'll be doing a bit of work for zip tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Aus, Nat. Concourse

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=46702625&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=46702713&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts