Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the stupid question, but I got my Legendary LW20 wheels and the Mustang center caps, and for the life of me I can't get the caps on the wheels! The little black screws seem to be threaded differently and the 2 sheet metal screws included are too long. Does anyone have any ideas. Note : I'm working solo, no extra hands. Picture attached of the cap and screws. Thanks in advance for any help.
20200212_090956.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,369 Posts
There must be some holes in the backside of the red caps. Are they threaded with the proper thread for the black machine screws?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I would take the cap to my local hardware store and determine what size thread is required (my store has a great supply). Purchase the required screws for a couple dollars and call it done!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's what I'm probably going to do. I sent a email to the Legendary people but who knows if I'll get any response. Here's a picture of the back of the cap and the screws
20200212_094721.jpg

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The center cap "appears" to be threaded for a machine screw, If so, the screw is definitely not compatible.

·
Premium Member
13,369 Posts
In this picture I can see the thread on the black screw better and it looks like they are also sheet metal screws. It appears that the thread in the hole in the cap is a machine thread so at this point I would agree that a visit to the hardware store is your best solution.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. That's where I'm headed later today. It's never easy - - Murphy's law bites again.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My curiosity got the better of me and I had to enlarge your last pic. I am not as certain that this is a machine thread. Is it a plastic or metal part?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Those threads are partial sheet metal threads (pre-tapped because the metal is thicker than sheet metal). When you install the screws, they will recut the threads (like a sheet metal screw does). Without the pre-cut you'd probably snap off a screw (or buggered the screw head) before it threaded all the way in.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow I didn't think of that. I went to the hardware store and got a bunch of metric screws that fit the threads. Only 5 bucks for them so if they aren't needed, no worries. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts